Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever heard a V12 at 12,100 revs!

Ever heard a V12 at 12,100 revs!

Re: Ever heard a V12 at 12,100 revs!

I've been following the development of this car very closely, it's an absolute masterpiece! I can't see Gordon Murray doing anything less. One of my all time heroes. Have you seen the T50s Niki Lauda track version yet Peter?

Andy - no I havent - but I'll check it out Thanks P

My work has ordered one. Let you all know when it arrives. Could be a while

There must be a fast approaching deadline to get this 'everything an eco warrior hates' car on the road?

It only revs to 9200rpm but the V12 from the new Pagani Huayra R also sounds very impressive. See HERE
    Technologically the GMA T50 is unquestionably impressive but for me the styling is lacking something.
    Head on it looks a little too much like the McLaren F1 which precedes it by 25 years.
    The T50s is better but still doesn't quite hit the spot for me. It is a subjective argument of course.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 04-04-2021 at 20:29.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Further to that, are there any modern cars that're actually good-looking? I'm not talking about "impressive" or "technical" or whatever, just the looks. I'm struggling....

Free user

Hi guys!

My Dad was the boss on the McLaren F1, I spent most of my spare time at the facility in Woking in the mid/late '90s. I met Gordon on numerous occasions. Great guy. Loud shirts. Quiet, confident thinker with a jukebox in his office, huge phobia of cockroaches. Legend. I remember flying 4 of us to Le Mans in '95 to see it's debut in the 24 hour race. What amazed me was that the car was never intended to go racing. Gordon had designed it to be the (then) ultimate road car, using his experience designing race cars and using race car tech which was available at the time. Owners wanted to take it racing. Gordon did not, "It was never designed to go racing", he would say. Eventually he bowed to "polite persuasion" (you and I would call it nagging!) and redesigned it to do exactly that, the GTR was born. As a fan of wings and vents, I saw it as a thing of beauty, and an amazing technical achievement. The Sultan of Brunei was equally impressed. "I like it, I'll have seven" (eventually to become 10), "but sir, you know they are £540,000 each?" and the quiet response, "what you have to understand is that me buying seven of these is like you buying a coffee." Eye opening stuff.

The T.50 is reminiscent of the McLaren F1 from so many angles. I know I'm going to upset the purists in saying this but I'm personally not a fan of manual gearboxes in modern performance cars, the delay in changing gears with a conventional stick seems ad odds with the idea of creating a modern performance car. I know Porsche upset the purists when they started to introduce their modern automatics ("they'll never sell!), but their gearbox is the reason that I sold my auto (actually a robotized manual) Lamborghini. I test drove a friend's Porsche and was blown away by the instantaneous gear changes. There was no interruption in power delivery whatsoever. I'm sure it's there, but it was completely imperceptible to me. Porsche now sell 4 times more PDK cars than manuals. Getting back into my own car was like stepping from a Eurofighter into a Lancaster bomber. Still an event, but. . . .
    Having said that, I know I'd be extremely happy behind the wheel of a Stratos replica with it's improved reliability and that elusive "grin factor", which seems to be absent in most reasonably priced modern day cars. That side profile! Bring back pop-up headlights! I know they're at odds with modern pedestrian safety regulations, but the legal restrictions on the design of cars as a result is . . .boring. Sorry.

And so, back to the T.50, the engine is going to be a masterpiece swansong to naturally aspirated internal combustion powerplants. 12,100 rpm in just 0.3 seconds, when not connected to the drivetrain, admittedly. Just think about that, for 0.3 seconds.
    https://www.thedrive.com/tech/35622/...just-3-seconds

All the best to everyone,
    Mark
    Last edited by Willtord; 04-04-2021 at 22:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Further to that, are there any modern cars that're actually good-looking? I'm not talking about "impressive" or "technical" or whatever, just the looks. I'm struggling....
    I'm with you Norm.
    Nothing has caught my eye since roughly the year 2000.

I don't think that sounds that great actually,more like a Jericho Trumpet than a car.
    My personal opinion of looks as regards contemporary cars is that the last pretty car to hit the market that could be attainable by the the average person is the E89 BMW Z4 followed by the Jag XKR(later).