Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Smith

Austin Smith

I can't believe I'm typing this but I've just found out that Austin passed away in hospital yesterday. He was admitted there 3 weeks ago where an aggressive and untreatable cancer was found.

Most of you won't have known Austin but he built a red stradale in Lowton, Warrington at the same time as Geoff Turton and I were building our cars. The first outing for my car was a show that I went to with Austin in his car back in 1991.

Austin was involved in the Stratos Replica Club for many years and edited some of the early newsletters as well as contributing.

He sold his car a few years ago after it sat in his garage mid way through a Group4/Alfa V6 conversion and TRN226X is now owned by Paul irvine, a fellow club member, who converted the car to LHD and completed the Gp4 conversion in Camel livery.

Austin got involved in racing a Morgan 3 wheeler, a very distinctive matt green with RAF roundels, WW11MOG.

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mayers; 21-04-2021 at 16:24.

Free user

Re: Austin Smith

Hi Guy,

That is very sad news.

I remember Austin from the very first meeting we had setting up the club, was at a pub off the M1 somewhere, can't remember that far back. Yourself, Geoff and a few others were there.

I also remember seeing him at Stoneleigh a few years ago.

Lovely chap, really down to earth.

RIP Austin.

Kind regards,
    Chris

SEC Member

The name rings a bell but I can't remember if I met him....but always sad when someone from your past passes away. Makes you realise how fragile life is, and we shouldn't take it for granted. My condolences to all who knew him and were his friends.

Oddly, I've just passed through Lowton today on the way to Leigh. It's not changed much since I was last there!

Austin's activities in this club predate mine, but it's obvious to me from reading copies of the club news letter that he certainly did his bit for the Stratos Replica Club.
    I never met him, but nevertheless, this is still very sad news.

Oh Dear Guy... indeed I do remember Austin and his red Strato's... I also met him at the "Green Man" near Doncaster, very sad news as I guess he wasn't too old.. from what I remember he always had a smile and was extremely enthusiastic about the Strato's, he also came along to the first meeting that I arranged in Nottingham, we all had a chat at the Toby Inn and then went on to Donnington Park, Vince was there, also Neil Simons who has since sadly passed, plus quite a few others.
    RIP Austin
    Phil

Guy,
    That is very sad news, I only met Austin a few times during the purchase of my car but he came across as a really nice bloke who was a genuine car enthusiast, he was very positive and complimentary on what I had done with his car.
    Condolences to his family and the people who knew him
    Paul

A snippet from Newsletter 14 from 1992
    Typical of Austin's involvement with club matters:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 07.27.59.png   Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 07.28.11.png  

Free user

Sad news, I remember meeting him when he was driving the "Spitfire Mog", interesting chap.

Sincere condolences.

Mark

Last edited by Willtord; 22-04-2021 at 09:10.

Austin clearly knew what he was doing, Pauls/Austin's car is a real gem, credit to both of them.

We are just the dispensable fleshy bits in our cars, they will crack on without us for many years!

Condolences to Austin's family & friends.

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I'll pass them on to the family when I get the opportunity.

To be fair to Paul he has rescued Austins car and apart from the number plate there is little to identify it's original builder. And that's perfect okay. I'm always a little sad when a car changes hands but remains forever associated with it's builder rather than the current owner.

Guy