Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Litton Corse

Re: Litton Corse

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    £17,725.00 would be the going rate.
    Very good price that bearing in mind the amount of work required to finish to a good standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
    Very good price that bearing in mind the amount of work required to finish to a good standard.
    Hi Andrew,
    Reserve wasn't met, but yes, an indicator of the potential buying price.

I still have a few people interested, but I'm talking to Scottish kit car centre to see if they can finish it and put it through IVA for me

SEC Member

Good man, Ste. I think you're doing the right thing by looking to get others to finish it. Although if it goes to the Scottish kit car centre, I bet it comes back with "fully independent" suspension and painted mid-blue with a white cross and there'll be some built-in system that prevents it ever crossing the English border.

As for Ebay, if you'd really wanted to sell it, I think you'd have been better with a straight sale rather than an auction, and just named a price. I'm not sure the auction actually shows what the buying price might be, just what a lot of hopeful bidders thought they might have to fork out to grab a bargain....

Quote Originally Posted by colleyv12 View Post
    I still have a few people interested, but I'm talking to Scottish kit car centre to see if they can finish it and put it through IVA for me

In general, I certainly think the pool of genuine potential purchasers for a completed, road legal, car is bigger than the pool for something unfinished, unknown, relatively expensive and a potentially future money-pit.

SEC Member

Right, I'll re-write what I just said as it didn't read correctly....

Jim, I understand that "the unknown" tends to put people off, but people who don't really understand the world of Strat reps and what they cost won't see what the potential is with this car. Assuming it'd sell for £20-25K, I think (finger in the air) that a paint job, retrim and work to make IVA-compliant would come to about £10K or a bit more, so then you've got a decent Strat rep for £35K. Unless the reserve was £30K, I don't think it was expensive. But you've got to see past your initial impressions....it's an unfinished project, after all. Maybe people are getting spoiled by pics of shiny Alitalia cars

"Potential future money pit"....hahaha, that's any high-end car, then

By "relatively expensive" I meant that, in my world, £17k plus is a lot for any unfinished kit-car project where you'd have to take a guesstimate of how long it might take and how much it might cost to put it on the road and where your best guess might be years out and maybe multiple thousands of pounds out. Far better to either under-price it at a fixed price to see if you can swiftly move it on or take it to the stage where it's a known quantity with a value that's easier to establish. Shiny Alitalia cars are a bad comparison since they are common.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    "you'd have to take a guesstimate of how long it might take and how much it might cost to put it on the road and where your best guess might be years out and maybe multiple thousands of pounds out.
    Sorry, which car are we talking about here?

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Sorry, which car are we talking about here?
    LOL.......

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
    Quite!

Or what you can get instead for this chunk of money, or often even less - instead of an incomplete & unregistered, non-IVA-d, non-exportable kit-car.

Like this random sample (but with no connection to any of their sellers):

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1273450 (or...)

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11580570 (or...)

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1337633 (or...)

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1282658 (And so on, and so forth...)

Being fortunate enough to retain both a Fulvia and a (modern) Abarth 124 Spider amongst my modest fleet; and recognising that they're both infinitely more satisfactory & satisfying to own/drive than any Stratos replica I've ever owned/driven; I'm left here to wonder - just like others above, from Renmure to Darkspeed - exactly why all this madness?

The natural result, maybe, of a coming-together between something like the 'Dutch Tulip Bubble' and the inescapable 'Laws of Supply-v-Demand'; yet I do genuinely believe there's some serious comfort to be had for we (less-pecunious) readers of this interesting thread from remembering just how much better value & sheer driving pleasure can still be obtained nowadays, out of spending rather less?

(Here endeth the lesson, though I doubt not, the controversy...)
    Last edited by FiveHundred; 21-05-2021 at 11:54.