Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancia Rally 037 successor

Re: Lancia Rally 037 successor

Yep compound charged 4 cyl. Not sure what capacity though. They had the engine on a stand. The red car is purely a cosmetic piece. They also had a grey fully functioning car. Sounded great setting off at the start line. Not sure a V6 would suit.

To my eyes it was the best looking 'new' on the whole place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post
    As I recall from my day at the FoS , the engine of this car was a 4 cylinder supercharged and turbocharged unit. It would have to work very hard for its keep - I think I would have preferred something a little less stressed! (like a nice V6)
    I tend to agree Peter, though unlikely I would go down that route in my case. Having said that, Alfa's Giulia 2.9 v6 will perhaps be a good choice.

Taking into account the slow progress of my project, by the time I get to choose an engine, I feel a great modern alternative to the supercharged 4 cylinder engine of the original would be an electrically assisted turbocharged 4 cylinder (not to be mistaken with a dual stage electric and turbo charging). These engines are already making an appearance and I guess 4-5 years down the line will be more widespread in the "hot hatch" part of the market.
    Last edited by rally037; 14-07-2021 at 22:02.

Out of interest, are there any forum members that are also Lancia Motor Club members - I am planning on passing by and saying hello on the Friday of the club's annual gathering in 10 days time in Thame while heading for a holiday and perhaps do a quick run with the model in the car park there if I manage to fit it in the car.

Just came back from my driving holiday to Scotland, passing by through Thame on the way there and spending an hour at the Lancia Motor Club gathering on the Friday, arguably not the best day as most of the attendees were still arriving, but no choice.

I did have a chance to chat to the Gent (whose name I did not take) owning the blue/silver Montecarlo, who mentioned it was the very first example on British soil:

On a related subject, it was my first visit north of the Cairngorns and into Orkney, also did half of the NC500. Stunning backdrops and roads! I noticed they felt compelled to include a proper camber on many a turn. Must get back there once I build the 037.

The Rally Festival in Telford is finally just around the corner, I can see there are few Hawks and Rob Whitehouse's 037 on the starting list. I am aiming to be there on Saturday as other commitments on Sunday. Hopefully it is a good one, I really look forward to it.

EDIT: Noticed some forum members' names on the drivers front.
    Last edited by rally037; 19-08-2021 at 11:23.

I shall be there on Sunday, in a static form at Western Park next to the organizers compound.

The actual running of the Motoring part in the park is being run by the Owen Motor Club, (who run two stage events each year at Western) and as I am a member of that club, and it is just up the road from home, we shall be part of a static display (hopefully) put on by them to back up the event.

Robin

Good luck Robin, I hope the event is a success.

Quote Originally Posted by rally037 View Post
    The Rally Festival in Telford is finally just around the corner, I can see there are few Hawks and Rob Whitehouse's 037 on the starting list. I am aiming to be there on Saturday as other commitments on Sunday. Hopefully it is a good one, I really look forward to it.

EDIT: Noticed some forum members' names on the drivers front.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C64D1544-6C9C-4EC3-ADCB-94C925185DFE.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	18652

Entry list from their website, sorry it's so small, can't adjust that.
    I'm on the list but I withdrew earlier in the year so don't go looking for me.

Mark
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

Cheers Mark, sorry to hear you had to withdraw.

Arrived relatively late in Telford yesterday, so only had a chance to see the ceremonial start of the last few cars, then missed Rob Whitehouse in the service park, but managed a brief chat with John Rutter while he was attending to his car and then had a longer conversation with Mick Covill, I am massively impressed with what he's achieved organising the Rally Festival here in the UK.