Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate replica

Re: Ultimate replica

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    plus radiators, radiator fans and shrouds, horns, fuel tanks, wiring/fuseboxes, mirrors - and that's just the start of the list of correct components!
    You forgot the Dzus towers and the reservoir bracket Guy!

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    You forgot the Dzus towers and the reservoir bracket Guy!
    I did Chris - sorry! And the brake and clutch reservoirs, steering column and pedal boxes too. Door/window mechanisms as well. Then there's the engine bay and front clip lighting, gearknob and handbrake assembly! Although I think there might be a few parts Gerry is still struggling with like the petrol tank roll over valve and the coil of Cavis pipe he knew he had but has misplaced?

Free user

There were two of these when I went for my tour of the hawk workshop a few weeks back.
    I learnt more about this replica than I did about the ones he sells there! I.e. for the cost of one fuel tank I could fly my family to Disneyland Florida for a week!

SEC Member

Well exactly. I see the 'ultimate' tag and understand that yes it probably is.
    I assume this has been a long time coming?
    I think as much was hinted at to me on the LB stand as far back as 2010. The inference was that introducing another Stratos replica was, and I think I quote, "a waste of time and effort", as Hawk were going to blow away the market with the ultimate replica.
    I thought it a bizzare thing to say at the time, and a little uncharitable.
    But if this is actually what was being referred to at that time then the point of the LB was being missed completely.
    Different animals entirely.

Like the MAT Stratos linked to earlier in the week I think it's fantastic that there are choices out there for folk with the inclination and budget to pick an entry point into Stratos replica / homage ownership.

The MAT one went quite a bit too far away from the looks of the original for me although I imagine the performance and handling would blow an original out of the water. There must come a point tho when making an Ultimate replica of a 70s car that you are engineering things back in, "because original" which you might at the time of the original have preferred to engineer out, "because progress"?

Anyhow, it looks really interesting and I'm sure there are loads of folk with deep enough pockets to make it well worthwhile. If it was really mooted in 2010 then the lead time to date makes the 3 year wait for an LB seem like an impulsive purchase decision

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    There's a workaround using a Fiat Dino on a 308 transmission. But ideally you need a D block Dino motor. Probably more out there than you'd think but none of them will be cheap.

I do wonder how far we are from being able to 3d print an engine. Companies are 3D printing entire space rockets, including the engines, and a Dino isn't rocket science

Site Supporter

Is this a resurrection of the Gartrac project from 30 years ago. They produced 2 chassis but they didn't sell easily because the price differential to an original car was too small; that's not the case now though.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by colin artus View Post
    Is this a resurrection of the Gartrac project from 30 years ago. They produced 2 chassis but they didn't sell easily because the price differential to an original car was too small; that's not the case now though.
    I don't think the shell is from Gartrac, Colin.
    More probably sourced in Italy, or elsewhere in Europe?

It's possible, but not certain/confirmed, that the car will be at Stoneleigh this year.

The usual Hawk cars display tower will be in place with a small amendment. There will be a fully staffed and equipped machine gun nest on the top just in case anyone gets beyond the minefield and barbed wire that will be surrounding it. Doubters are encouraged to bring their own magnets and request a demonstration from authorised personnel.

Guy

It's an obsession for some of us, the Stratos always turns heads, but when you have one you start to notice the details.
    Four stud wheels looked wrong, so we went to five stud.
    Right hand drive is a giveaway, LHD better.
    And of course, the Dino engine is what we remember, singing down those stages in Wales, Ypres and others....
    It's a journey, how near can you get?
    Struan
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com