Thread: Alfa 159 V6

Free user

Alfa 159 V6

Has anyone looked into using a Alfa 159 3.2 V6 in their Stratos?

Hoping the forum can enlighten me with pros and cons and whether its possible.

A con is finding a gearbox. Most here in NZ are Auto Q4's. Would a 2.4 diesel box work?
    A pro is its a relatively modern engine, easy parts availability, with VVT and 190kw or more on a aftermarket ECU

I am considering the 159 for two reasons
    1. I bought a low km 156 GTA but don't have the heart to break it. Although it has some rear quarter damage it drives well and I have the Alfa bug and would like to save it.
    2. Yes I know the 159 is GM based but there are lots of them about and they are getting cheaper.

I currently have a Hawk running a 164s engine and box and was considering setting it up with a Link Ecu, coils etc but would rather spend my money on something potentially better.

Thanks

Steve

SEC Member

Re: Alfa 159 V6

There was a Corse under construction in Texas some years back utilising a GM derived High Feature V6, but I've lost contact with the builder.
    No reason why not to use this engine I'm sure. If a Toyota V6 is now a legitimate power plant for a Stratos replica then so is any Alfa badged V6, whether it is GM derived or not.
    Like you say 159 V6's must be getting more reasonable in price.
    I know the early F40 gearboxes ( up to 2007?) suffered from bearing failures and selector/synchro problems, so maybe something after that date would be worth hanging on for.
    Last edited by john; 15-08-2021 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    There was a Corse under construction in Texas some years back utilising a GM derived High Feature V6, but I've lost contact with the builder.
    No reason why not to use this engine I'm sure. If a Toyota V6 is now a legitimate power plant for a Stratos replica then so is any Alfa badged V6, whether it is GM derived or not.
    Like you say 159 V6's must be getting more reasonable in price.
    I know the early F40 gearboxes ( up to 2007?) suffered from bearing failures and selector/synchro problems, so maybe something after that date would be worth hanging on for.
    The M32 box in the 159 is the weak one John, the F40 appears in the 159 2.4 and can cop with all the torque you can throw through it. It's what's in my 2.4 Q4 Ti. I have no idea if this box can be bolted to the V6 though. Maybe with a swap of bell housings? Place to ask this question is Alfaowner.com as there are some very knowledgeable peeps there.

As for the GM V6 - Easily killed by poor maintenance and stretched timing chains plus very very thirsty, at least in the 159!

I would have thought that the Toyota engine/box was just as east to source in NZ? GTA is probably worth saving, values are rising here!

Guy

The Toyota v6 is in a lot of models down here, and would be easy and cheap to source. I think the manual box to suit might be tricky to find here.

I think the v6 twin turbo from the Giulia is the one to go for!
    Last edited by Fingers; 16-08-2021 at 08:06.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    I think the v6 twin turbo from the Giulia is the one to go for!
    Nope. It's rear wheel drive so there's no known gearbox solution and intercooling is a major issue too. Gearbox may need importing from Japan for the Toyota motor along with all the other gubbins needed! I wonder if that GTA is beginning to sweat?

Guy

Free user

Thanks all for your input, much appreciated.

Yes I have searched the Alfa forums but there is not much on using the 159 as a donor.

Learnt some more today, I cant just fix the damage myself!
    Any damaged vehicle deregistered by an insurer or otherwise has to be repaired by an approved repairer and then certified by a repair certifier.

On top of the above (which I knew), all deregistered vehicles (including all imports to NZ) need to go through a Vehicle Compliance Assessment. The VCA is like our Warrant of Fitness test but more thorough. It involves dismantling the cars interior to check for corrosion, water damage or any other structural issues/repairs that might affect safety. Any repairs or damage found is referred to a repair certifier for further certifying. If it passes the VCA it is registered and a new number plate issued.

Next step is to speak to a repair certifier to see if he will sign the car off if the panel is repaired. In theory it needs to be repaired in accordance with the manufacturers specifications so a new section cannot be just welded in. If he says yes, then its off to get some repair quotes, but if he insists on a new rear guard then engine will soon be in the Stratos.

I'll keep you posted

Steve
    Last edited by SteveS; 16-08-2021 at 10:33. Reason: spelling error