Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

Re: Hello all

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    If only I had a barn you'd find an unfinished (Hawk) in it. But there is a plan. It involves a house move and it the one we want comes off there'll be the potential for a garage day that doesn't exist here!
    Still up North or maybe a little further South.....?
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    A barn find Stratos rep must surely be a thing of potential these days?
    Pretty sure I saw some in the barns at your place Craig!

But they don't need 'finding' I guess......
    Last edited by LPH_UK; 17-01-2022 at 23:14.

SEC Member

I'm a bit traumatised by the thought of what Guy's B&B might be....bring your own spanners and a pair of overalls...

But back to the O.P....just hang on, keep looking, and unless it definitely has to be an LB, something could just turn up. As Craig said, there must be quite a few unfinished kits sat in garages, car ports and under sheets. And I'd say the same about a new LB kit too, cos at some point they'll open the order book again, surely sooner rather than later! (which doesn't mean I've got any inside knowledge whatsoever - just a gut feeling!)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Still up North or maybe a little further South.....?
    North East Craig. But not far from where we are, still in easy distance of Liverpool.

We have an offer in on a property that has a buyer already but with issues that have caused others to drop out post survey. It's a 3 bed detached with a double garage with an apex roof that's been extended behind making it a quad garage but with a flat roof at the back. Plan (IF we get it) is to put a new roof front to back but with a flat roof at apex height over the extended rear so I can move the 4 post lift in too. Should find out this week but honestly not that hopeful. And we'll probably run out of budget to do that once any work that needs doing on the house is done.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    I'm a bit traumatised by the thought of what Guy's B&B might be....bring your own spanners and a pair of overalls...
    What's spanner Norm? With the state of the garage we hope to get it's more likely to be bring a hammer, saw and nails and an ability to make roof trusses and sheet them off! The overalls I can sulpply along with tea, coffee and biccies for the right persons!

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by DeanM View Post
    Hello
    Just received a reply from LB.
    The order book and waiting list is closed
    No mention of new orders .
    Could be a year or more I guess
    Hi new to the site also LB as stated books are closed with a 5 year lead time !!
    Hawk 2 year waiting time!

Hi Martin - I'm sorry to hear there is such a long lead-time. This is the problem with a high quality, well-engineered product and finite factory production resources. If you can bear to wait it will be worth it but otherwise the only option is to buy second-hand and uprate it. As somebody has remarked on here there are a lot of kits that have been bought over the last few years but which never seem to see the light of day (unless they are in very long-term build!) It might be worth you making some enquiries of these kits.

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post
    Hi Martin - I'm sorry to hear there is such a long lead-time. This is the problem with a high quality, well-engineered product and finite factory production resources. If you can bear to wait it will be worth it but otherwise the only option is to buy second-hand and uprate it. As somebody has remarked on here there are a lot of kits that have been bought over the last few years but which never seem to see the light of day (unless they are in very long-term build!) It might be worth you making some enquiries of these kits.
    I think I will do as you say and keep my eye open for used kit. I am edging towards the LB I am not looking to build an exact replica I think the general opinion is it’s easier to build if anyone out there is thinking of moving their project on let me know please cheers
    Last edited by Martin0074; 29-01-2022 at 15:02.

Stratos replicas eh! It's like the old joke about it being wise to invest in land because they've stopped building it.

Another option is to speculatively contact existing owners and ask them if their finished cars or even ongoing projects are for sale. You never know.

There will be owners who find themselves in the unusual situation where they find themselves owning something that now has a disproportionately high value to what it may have cost them some years ago. Similarly there might be a few folk who were comfortable owning a £30k fun car and less comfortable having over £60k tied up in a fun car. They might not really have thought about selling or advertising for sale but might for the right offer.

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    Stratos replicas eh! It's like the old joke about it being wise to invest in land because they've stopped building it.

Another option is to speculatively contact existing owners and ask them if their finished cars or even ongoing projects are for sale. You never know.

There will be owners who find themselves in the unusual situation where they find themselves owning something that now has a disproportionately high value to what it may have cost them some years ago. Similarly there might be a few folk who were comfortable owning a £30k fun car and less comfortable having over £60k tied up in a fun car. They might not really have thought about selling or advertising for sale but might for the right offer.

I will keep my eyes open and see what comes along as you say there must be so many part built/ abandoned projects out there which is a shame! I should imagine those type of cars will mostly appear on eBay! Let the search begin👍