Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandatory speed limiters from June 2022

SEC Member

Mandatory speed limiters from June 2022

I've just been reading an article in EVO and a similar Autotrader article that makes the following statement...

The European Commission has reached a provisional agreement that all new vehicles sold in Europe will be fitted with a speed limiter as a legal requirement from 6 July 2022. The 2019/2044 regulation also mandates all new cars that have already launched be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) by 7 July 2024.

My question (and fear) is if this becomes legislation in the UK which seems likely according to the articles, will this will affect IVA tests from this date? My understanding is any new car registered after 6 July 2022 will have to have a speech limiter and any existing car will have to be retrofitted with such technology. The latter seems rather harsh on existing car owners but OE manufacturers could easily incorporate the former in all new production. It appears that the limiter is intended to adjust the maximum speed of the car according to the speed limit of the section of road being used.
    Is anyone else aware of this and am I being overly concerned?
    Steve

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/man...ars-after-2022

Re: Mandatory speed limiters from June 2022

Article mentions vehicles with type approval. Does that apply to low volume vehicles and amateur builds?

It applies to vehicles first registered from, with European type approval, so if your using an index from the donor car, you'll be safe

Even if you are not using a donor you should be OK if your car is going through an IVA. As has been said it only applies to cars with type approval. If you have to got through an IVA you don't have type approval (in the vast majority of cases).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve65 View Post
    My understanding is any new car registered after 6 July 2022 will have to have a speech limiter......
    Could be useful on shopping trips....

SEC Member

This is something I've mentioned previously and which seems to have passed most peeps by. The idea is that the car will use its fwd-facing camera which all cars need to have these days for lane assist, radar cruise, etc. to recognise the speed limit, and the ECU will then rein in the power so the car can't exceed it. There'll be an override - you'll have to hit the accelerator hard - but you'll get all sorts of flashing lights and bongs as warnings. I also believe the system will b able to be turned off completely as well. However, this "override" will only be available for a few years to get people used to having the system...
    As far as Britain goes, this is an EU law that we don't have to follow, but the govt. have said they will so manufacturers don't have to produce a separate setup just for us (but doing a RHD car is OK, it seems). However, it's not been enshrined in UK law yet, so who knows, it might not happen...
    Don't know how you'd go along with retro-fitting such a system to existing new cars. It's probably just an ECU code upgrade....but that also means removing it would also be a code upgrade....

I can't see how they'd expect small-volume makers to fit this tech. It needs too much in the way of hardware etc. and, just as we don't have to have airbags and all that baloney, we won't have to have this speed-limiting stuff either. Cos face it, we'll just be stuck in the Q of cars doing exactly 1mph below the limit...

A positive might be that there'd be no point having speed cameras or mobile speed traps after the systems have been out there for a period of time. Dunno what they'd do about all that lost revenue...or am I being cynical, cos cameras are about road safety and not raising money, aren't they. Ahem.
    Last edited by Normb666; 14-09-2021 at 23:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post

A positive might be that there'd be no point having speed cameras or mobile speed traps after the systems have been out there for a period of time. Dunno what they'd do about all that lost revenue...or am I being cynical, cos cameras are about road safety and not raising money, aren't they. Ahem.
    I guess that might mean pre 2022 cars might carry a premium in years to come! Until we cannot get fuel for them any more...

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    Even if you are not using a donor you should be OK if your car is going through an IVA. As has been said it only applies to cars with type approval. If you have to got through an IVA you don't have type approval (in the vast majority of cases).
    Excellent point Leigh.

SEC Member

Thanks everyone for clarifying the relevance or not as it happens and putting my mind at rest!!! I had envisaged having to rush an unpainted and untrimmed car to IVA before June next year and then stripping it down to finish properly!! I was also concerned how this may affect those less progressed in their build or even waiting to start.
    Panic over!!
    Cheers Steve

PS
    Sorry Norman, I hadn't seen your previous reference to this.

Ho Ho for Brexit!!!!!