Thread: Got a wink on

SEC Member

Got a wink on

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F919BEF-B76F-4C76-B228-E6D0EFCA8C30.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	18913Not sure if this will show the right way up but just for a bit of fun.

So I have an LB loom on the Allora, x1/9 headlamp motors and not sure how to wire them up. Have read about the diodes and have got some ready however can I do the following…

Have a new 12v supply, two relays on each side just triggered by if side lights are on or off? I figured one relay would give 12v to up/down signal and second relay to provide the earth grounding on the motors to stop them.

Really not in any way into electronics so if you can help please keep it really basic!

Thanks

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 52257A28-33C3-433D-94F4-CAE13BED2B5D.jpg   2A20A4CE-C503-44EE-B9E3-010EB3A0C7C7.jpg  
    Last edited by Jamo12t; 12-11-2021 at 23:02. Reason: Picture wrong way up

SEC Member

Re: Got a wink on

Hello, I used a similar approach. You will also need a feed from headlamp main beam otherwise the pods will stay down when you flash the lights and a couple of diodes (1N5406) or you can get inline diodes such as Universal In-line Diode (autoelectricsupplies.co.uk) which dont require any soldering.

Here is the circuit I used. It sounds similar to yours but as you only have one side working I would check your wiring carefully and check the diodes on the motors. If the diodes are original then I would replace with with 1N5406 which are more highly rated. Be sure to get the diodes the right way round. Also there are two sorts of changeover relay connections, you may have different ones. Look at the markings carefully.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headlamps.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	18916
    Last edited by Stableblock; 13-11-2021 at 09:29.

SEC Member

Perfect, thanks will give it a go - good point on main beam.

thanks

James

Hello James,
    Drop me an email so I can send you a diagram of what is already in the loom.
    It might be that you only need to add one relay per side.
    The loom is configured to the MX5 motors though so it might be easier to just swap to those.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Thanks, the relays and fuses weren’t in situ so I’ve had some fun but got purple as continual 12v, red 12v unless headlights on and then orange becomes 12v. Just need to loop in sidelight feed as LB has separate sidelights where mine are in the bowl.

think I have a plan but will give you a shout if I get stuck.

thanks

james

SEC Member

should have said to ignore the colours on the diagram, they wont match the LB loom.

Peter

SEC Member

Thanks Peter & Craig, two relays in each pod worked for me, maybe could have been done with 1 but it's working now.

I've posted a video on facebook as not sure how to attach in this forum. Also used Guy's advice on adjustments to the positioning, a little more work to do but happy to have them working now.

What got me to start off with was the common coming from the motor, didn't know this was an output rather than input and it didn't help the spare motors I was playing with don't seem to work!

Thanks guys - sure I'll have some more questions soon!

This thread:

https://www.stratosec.com/Forum/show...dlights-A-PITA

covers the fundamentals of how they should work in excruciating detail….once you understand how they are supposed to work, making them behave is simple enough.

The Ford/Mazda parts use the exact same technique but spread the components about differently so they can seem quite different.