Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Storm Arwen

Storm Arwen

Anyone else been battered by this over the weekend? BBC were reporting nearly 100mph gusts and I think we got the brunt of it (which is pretty unusual for the NE coast to get hammered by a northerly storm)

I’m still in darkness this evening while huddling around a log burner and candles after the power going off at tea time yesterday. Been around the garden today and can see carnage on a lot of smaller trees and unfortunately a great big elm tree has split and looks like it will need someone proper to do whatever it is you do with chainsaws and ropes to make it safe. Most of the local roads have been blocked with fallen trees and the local village Facebook group has lots of photos of roofless sheds, chimneyless roofs and upturned caravans. No fun!
    Last edited by renmure; 27-11-2021 at 21:21.

Re: Storm Arwen

Woke up this morning in Buxton Derbyshire to 7" of snow. All roads north, south east and west blocked by fallen trees and jack knifed trucks. Still got power though. Lit both wood burners just in case. Anyone keen to trust snow tyres?

Jim, sounds like you've had it worse than us as we still have power. NE coast of England had also seen some very high winds with damage to; property, trees, fences etc. Roads have been blocked and the sea has turned into resembling a foam party in Ibiza (whatever one of those are)! Oh and it's snowing and lying.
    Hope your power is restored soon Jim.
    Cheers Ade

SEC Member

Disaster here. Flyball was cancelled.....

Lost a fence panel,soon refitted.

I moved a rockery last week. It didn't move.

I also piled the fallen leaves behind it. There are a few more there today.

I also had Autoglass booked for a replacement 'screen on the Alfa. He turned up and fitted it no problems!

So, what's all the fuss? Been pretty quiet here.....

Soz! Hope you're all back to normal soon!

Guy

SEC Member

Storm Arwen? Pah, a mere apprentice when compared to living with Leah

Outside, it looked like we'd had an overnight visit from the Charles Manson Family before they got into the really heavy stuff, when they used to break into places and just move furniture around, to freak people out. Absolutely nothing was where it'd been left (apart from the cars). Biggest problem was a pane blown out of the door to the summer house (yes, very middle class...I'll get there one day, but meanwhile I'm still scum) but amazingly, it'd been blown hard enough that it landed on the sofa. 10 mins work with battens and some panel pins and all was ok again. Lucky.....

Commiserations to all on the Eastern side, where it sounds like you had it worse. Jim, I'm amazed at you saying the leccy was off. I didn't even know you HAD electricity. You live and learn (awaits snarky blue wheel comment)

Day 3 without power. Suppose that’s the payback for being rural. Way back in 2010 when all the snow came I got snowed in for 3 days and my old military spec Landrover couldn’t even make it to the driveway!! Hope the candles last.
    Last edited by renmure; 28-11-2021 at 12:28.

Jim, I am feeling a little concerned for you, but as you say, this is one of the benefits for being rural, but you are much closer to the Arbroath smokes than the rest of us. Is it fish for Breakfast, Lunch and tea at the moment? I am also intrigued, how are you keeping your Router going, have you got a wind up radio that you linked to for power.?

Robin

Ah, don’t be too sympathetic. We are coping and are promised power tomorrow (maybe). It’s a little adventure really. We’ve been charging phones when out in the car and wifi hotspots from them has let us huddle around an iPad watching Netflix in the evening. Tomorrow I will get the chainsaw out and get to work on the easy stuff. The electricity company has sent an email saying we can have £20 takeaway on their expense so we are off out to eat Dominos Pizza in the car since nobody delivers out here anyhow. Living the dream