Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An obituary for Mark Eaton

An obituary for Mark Eaton

Hello all. I hope this is the correct place to post this, as I am unfamiliar with how this forum works.

It is with great regret and a heavy heart to announce the passing of Mark Eaton at 10:00 this morning, after a short but vicious fight with cancer, ending in a one all draw. I understand this will come as a shock to many of you as he kept his illness private, but he requested you be told about this news after his passing. I know he was a big contributor to this site and this club, with an immense passion for all things mechanical, with a special interest in his Lancia Stratos. He spoke a great length about his love of both his car and this club, and I want to thank all of you for helping contribute to his enjoyment of this.

I shall be updating this post one more time once we have sorted out a memorial service for him, and (barring any restrictions over Covid) I would like to welcome you all to attend if you would like.

Mark is succeed by two children, my sister, and myself. I unfortunately will not be able to regularly view and update this post, so I hope the information I have provided will be sufficient for now.

Rory Eaton
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

SEC Member

Re: An obturity for Mark Eaton

Well my goodness what a shock.
    Mark had said that he was having problems, at that time undiagnosed, but of course we always hope for the best.
    He will be missed in this club for sure as he was so active and helpful, and I'm sure I speak for us all in offering you and your sister our heartfelt sympathy.
    Mark was a bit of a pioneer with his build and was generous with help and advice to those of us following on.
    Rest in peace Mark.

So sorry to hear this news Rory. I knew he wasn't well but this is terrible news and we'd like to pass our condolences to the family, he's in our thoughts.
    Guy

That's very sad news indeed.

I only met Mark once. It was at Stoneleigh a few years ago before I even ordered a car. I was wandering around the SEC stand looking at the various display cars and just making initial enquiries of the owners about Stratos kits and ownership. My main recollection was that despite it being the end of a long day for everyone showing their car and the fact that I doubt I asked anything that he probably hadn't answered dozens of times that day he stood and spoke as friendly, informatively and enthusiastically about the various kits and cars and the community as if I was the 1st person he had spoken to that day rather than the random 109th.

RIP Mark

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    He will be missed in this club for sure as he was so active and helpful,
    'Actively helping the club only days since John.

It was Mark who put the order in for the 2022 calendars.
    Mark also paid for the calendars and had the whole batch delivered safe and sound.

That says it all?...

SEC Member

Hard to know what to say that properly conveys the sadness this news brings. It's not so much of a shock to me as I knew what was going on with him, but he asked me to keep it to myself because he didn't want a fuss. Typical Mark. He's gonna be missed, that's for sure. I'll be creating a new thread related to this, as his passing has greater ramifications for the club due to his committee positions as Treasurer and Membership Secretary.

As stated before... its difficult to find the words at this sad time, the fight with his illness was certainly brutally short... RIP Mark, it was a pleasure knowing you.

Very sad news. Met him a couple of times over the years and actually saw his car in the Harrods window. He must have been proud.
    RIP.

Shocked and saddened, RIP Mark. it was my pleasure to have met you and your Stratos creation.

Rory, so sorry to hear of the sad news! I only met your father once, which was a pleasure. However, we did have some very interesting internet chat regarding his Zenith liveried Stratos as I was wanting to do the same with mine for some time.
    My sincere condolences to you and the rest of the family at this difficult time.
    Ade