Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EPAS for the Stratos

SEC Member

Re: EPAS for the Stratos

I'm thinking it might be easier to join a gym and get those arms pumped up instead. Or, talking of pumping up, run the fronts at 30psi.....and just don't go above 30mph.

SEC Member

Hi Ken, if you look at post 66 in Dave Evans thread " LB part deux", I'm pretty sure the photo shows the Fiat stalks affixed to the end of the Corsa B column.
    Easy-steer will install an epas unit to your existing column ( in most cases) and they now do a 'mini' motor unit to graft in to your existing column, which may mean it could be possible to graft on to even the Hawk column. You would have to ask them of course. Pretty sure they would need to do it in house if it is possible.
    My own approach, as I am starting from scratch, is to source a suitable column which can be supported by their speed sensitive controllers, and instal it myself on fabricated bracketry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tomblin View Post
    If I use a Corsa b EPA’s unit how difficult would it be to fit my x1/9 stalks or would it be a better option to use a Fiat Seicento EPA’s unit

Regards Ken
    Hello Ken,

The X1/9 stalks do not fit directly to the Corsa B column without some well thought out surgery.
    Basically you need to fabricate a new upper column sleeve, machine the shaft & reposition the upper bearing to make this work.
    It's doable because it's been done but if the Siecento can be made to work it might be easier provided there is a controller available/adaptable.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Hi Ken, as Craig say's it is quite possible but complicated. The main issue I found was adapting the Corsa outer column to take the X1/9 ignition barrel as I wanted to retain the X1/9 shroud's. If you PM me your email I can send you some photos of my version if you want to go down this route.
    Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Tomblin View Post
    If I use a Corsa b EPA’s unit how difficult would it be to fit my x1/9 stalks or would it be a better option to use a Fiat Seicento EPA’s unit

Regards Ken
    'See my email Ken.

Steve PM sent

Regards Ken

Ken, further to my PM, forgot to mention, that even the steering lock functions using the X1/9 barrel, all covered by the X1/9 shrouds.

Robin

SEC Member

Sounds like a right faff.
    I couldn't be bothered with that.

SEC Member

Let me qualify that.
    I find myself wondering why you would go to the lengths of modification outlined for the Corsa B column when Easysteer can add an assistance motor to virtually any column.
    I've just heard back from them after I sent some video and photos of my initial setup. They don't seem phased at all about adding a motor into the x19 column I've used to mock it up.
    On my LB the column is hung off a 40x40 cross tube using one of Craig's brackets.
    I've sneaked the column rearward ( towards the driver) more than intended (I think) so the bracket will need replacing. But what this does is bring the bottom end of the outer column to a position where the Easysteer assistance motor can be grafted on the end of the column tube in a position where there is 7-8" of clearance to anything else from 9 o'clock round to 3 o'clock so I'm pretty confident it's doable. They don't have any availability until next month but will go up there then and get a motor trial fitted to the column.
    I can then bring it back here to the car and fab up whatever bracket is required. Once that is finalised they can make me a telescopic inter shaft to connect it all up and keep the IVA man happy.
    It won't be cheap but Corsa B columns are not peanuts these days and when you add in a load of faffing about just to make the switchgear etc fit I can't see the point. Unless I'm missing something. Wouldn't be the first time.
    Apparently the problem.with the later Corsa D columns is not that they are dimensionally wrong but that the electronic controls are that integrated into the cars management that the column is impossible to control in any other vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
    Only the Corsa B will fit............tried to install the Corsa C unit but it is too long.
    Thanks for the confirmation Andy.
    One of the upsides of the Corsa B is that it is all but identical in length to the Fiat column which allows it to be fitted as a replacement to the X1/9 without compromising the steering wheel position.
    Not relevant for Ken but for IVA then it is better to have a collapsible steering boss present. This brings the steering wheel about as far back into the cockpit as I'd like it to be, spacing the column rearwards is not really an option for me.
    To satisfy German TUV we've had a bespoke column made in mainland Europe but as with anything bespoke it came at a cost.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 07-01-2022 at 15:02.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel