Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EPAS for the Stratos

Re: EPAS for the Stratos

John I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Easysteer . I was looking at the cost of a (secondhand) Corsa b unit and it seems to be in the region of £300 plus and for someone like me who would need someone to fit it I'm thinking it would not be an inexpensive operation. Presumably also you would need to upgrade the alternator ? I'm thinking there wouldnt be much change out of £1500 or maybe up to £2k ?

SEC Member

I will keep up reports of progress Peter. But I don't think there will be any more progress for a month or so.
    It's worth keeping in mind that my own LB chassis is of the earliest variety so my installation might not be applicable to later ones.
    Early indications are that a bespoke installation of the new Easysteer motor to my column will be less than half the kind of figure you estimate!
    I would not see any need for an uprated alternator. Not from any information supplied by Easysteer so far anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post
    J. I was looking at the cost of a (secondhand) Corsa b unit and it seems to be in the region of £300 plus and for someone like me who would need someone to fit it I'm thinking it would not be an inexpensive operation.
    £150 ea on FB marketplace Peter
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

I'm obviously looking in the wrong place Craig (not for the first time!) . My prices came from E-Bay - I've not used FB Marketplace . I'll have to check it out. Thanks P.

SEC Member

It were a Corsa steering rack that my Alfa 4C had fitted to it recently. Cost an absolute bloody fortune - mostly in labour - but absolutely transformed the car. The single thing I'd recommend to any 4C owner over any other mod.

Cheers,
    Hedge

SEC Member

Finally got up to Chorley to see Easysteer and talk the epas possibilities with them.
    As usual I've had to rethink it all again!
    Like everyone else who knows what they are doing they are really busy and it was going to be May before they could do the job for me. So Rick talked me through it and convinced me I could do the job myself.
    I've come away from there with a big bag full of bits.
    I've opted for their 'Euro' system with GPS speed control for the assistance level.
    The motor/gearbox unit has an integral torque sensor which analyses how much steering effort you are putting in.
    The only actual machining necessary is to shorten the x19 column shaft and turn the end down to fit in an adapter sleeve supplied with the kit so I'm happy enough doing that. But I have opted to do a couple of chassis mods so that I can instal the whole thing a little higher for extra knee room. I think later LB chassis may have the 40x40 tube hanger for the column at a higher level and there may be enough room for the motor without my mods.
    I've shortened the x19 outer column by 45mm. I wanted to retain the column switches and steering lock, plus both column bearings so 45mm was the max I could shorten it by and still have enough room for the adapter plus 25-30mm of 'collapsibility' in the column itself.
    Coupled with a splined collapsible intershaft ( which I also got in kit form), and the angled intershaft I'm hoping it will satisfy the IVA man.
    So the shortened x19 column is grafted on to a steel sleeve projecting from the motor which can also be shortened to suit.
    Just to make life that little bit more difficult for myself I'm also going to try a good strong hinge mount at the rear end of this motor so I can adjust the rake of column and wheel.
    Anyway, enough theorising, I'll get back to some practical steps.
    Here's a couple of photos of what I'm working with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220228_160301.jpg   20220228_160320.jpg  

Great project John - I'll be interested to hear of your progress as you work through the challenges. You will be blazing a new trail for EPAS conversions !

Would you like to share the cost for the complete kit and controller.
    Hawk HF3000 - Engine: Alfa GTV 3.0L 24v V6, Dry Sump - Gearbox: Sadev 6 Speed Sequential ST90-14 - Suspension: Nitron 3 Way Adjustable - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive - Tyres: Pirelli P7 Corsa

SEC Member

It's commercial information I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Finally got up to Chorley to see Easysteer and talk the epas possibilities with them.
    As usual I've had to rethink it all again!
    Like everyone else who knows what they are doing they are really busy and it was going to be May before they could do the job for me. So Rick talked me through it and convinced me I could do the job myself.
    I've come away from there with a big bag full of bits.
    I've opted for their 'Euro' system with GPS speed control for the assistance level.
    The motor/gearbox unit has an integral torque sensor which analyses how much steering effort you are putting in.
    The only actual machining necessary is to shorten the x19 column shaft and turn the end down to fit in an adapter sleeve supplied with the kit so I'm happy enough doing that. But I have opted to do a couple of chassis mods so that I can instal the whole thing a little higher for extra knee room. I think later LB chassis may have the 40x40 tube hanger for the column at a higher level and there may be enough room for the motor without my mods.
    I've shortened the x19 outer column by 45mm. I wanted to retain the column switches and steering lock, plus both column bearings so 45mm was the max I could shorten it by and still have enough room for the adapter plus 25-30mm of 'collapsibility' in the column itself.
    Coupled with a splined collapsible intershaft ( which I also got in kit form), and the angled intershaft I'm hoping it will satisfy the IVA man.
    So the shortened x19 column is grafted on to a steel sleeve projecting from the motor which can also be shortened to suit.
    Just to make life that little bit more difficult for myself I'm also going to try a good strong hinge mount at the rear end of this motor so I can adjust the rake of column and wheel.
    Anyway, enough theorising, I'll get back to some practical steps.
    Here's a couple of photos of what I'm working with.
    "Sounds like a right faff.
    I couldn't be bothered with that."

Much easier to just use the tried and tested Corsa B and graft on the X1/9 stalks