Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stoneleigh and Newark Shows 2022

Re: Stoneleigh and Newark Shows 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Nowadays there are considerably less exhibitors and the show is smaller so to balance the (no doubt escalating) venue costs they then have to use the visitors entrance fee instead of selling the exhibitor stand space to help cover the cost of hosting the event.
    Are you going to have a stand at either show Craig?

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    Are you going to have a stand at either show Craig?
    I see what you are trying to say Chris.
    In our current situation however it seems unlikely that we will have a stand at either Stoneleigh or Newark this year.
    From our perspective it seems rather futile for us to have a stand at either event to promote a product which at the time of the shows we won't actually be able to take any orders for.
    I think it would be very frustrating for both parties to spend 20 minutes talking to a customer about the car to then turn around and tell them that the order book is currently closed and we can't take their order anyway.
    It was our intention to participate in the Newark event last year but it then got cancelled due to the uncertainty of Covid.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

I fully support Craig’s reasoning. Gerry will be attending and maybe taking orders but with minimal deposits and customers understanding he has a 2 year waiting list for most models. I think the ally cars may be on a shorter lead time.

After 2 years of Covid restrictions there are a lot of potential customers out there wanting to spend but the bigger manufacturers have full order books and don’t need to attend.

if this goes on for another year and the show generates losses the organisers aren’t going to risk it again.

So once current orders are filled there’ll be now more shows to promote kits at and we’ll be reliant on magazines, clubs and manufacturers websites. But with no more big kit car gatherings will the market shrink further? I don’t know. Does anyone know what the future holds?

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    I see what you are trying to say Chris.
    I wasn't "trying" to say anything Craig, but I'm interested in your viewpoint.
    The component Stratos is booming, and therefore rather at odds with the rest of the kit car market.

More than ever, I felt that last year, the club stands reflected the yesteryear of the kit car scene.
    Almost a 'classic kit car show'?
    Last edited by ProtoTipo; 10-02-2022 at 16:47.

What's the argument against ramping up the production of Stratos replicas?
    'Nobody capable to outsource to, I guess.

SEC Member

Let's keep it as it is.
    Keep the value up.
    I've got two of 'em!

'Nobody capable to outsource to, I guess.
    Things have changed a lot over the last few years and I don't think they won't return to how they were before Covid & Brexit.
    Not only have material costs gone through the roof across the board but there are also long lasting supply chain issues and specific things we used to buy are simply no longer available.
    On a more local level finding reliable staff who can actually do the job rather than just thinking they can is a challenge.
    A lot of people got too comfortable being paid to sit at home last year and they now simply don't want to work.
    Out of those that do want to work some think they are worth twice as much as their abilities suggest they are actually worth.
    Finding people devoid of ego who can also work with others is a challenge and from experience that is not necessarily within a big group either.
    Outsourcing is another issue as whilst you can find companies to do things their rates have increased considerably as well which combined with the additional material cost means things are expensive.
    A prime example of this for me was wiring looms, our previous supplier of looms closed in line with protocol & I don't think they caught back up. Their lead times were so bad that we then tried to source elsewhere. The first (very reputable) company who quoted were asking for around 6 times the price of the original supplier, the second one was more realistic but was still around 2.5 times the cost of the original supplier. The issue with that one then was that they wanted us to provide a full bill of materials before they would make the looms at which point we had done the majority of the work for them which meant that we might as well make them ourselves. So the general feel was that yes, you can get companies to do things for you but they want you to all the hard work and they will then charge you for the privilege.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 10-02-2022 at 18:44.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Let's keep it as it is.
    Keep the value up.
    I've got two of 'em!
    Get NapierSports going again
    Nooooooooooo!
    I've got one of 'em!

SEC Member

The current situation is like standing on shifting sand. No-one really knows what'll happen next or where the path forward is. Everyone is simply trying to "make it work" and hoping things will become clearer at some point. Craig's example of the loom issue will be just one of a whole host of things. I sincerely hope the shows continue but as said earlier, it's a bit like a "classic kit car" display on the club stands and I think the traditional kit car builder is dying out. Lots of customers these days are monied and expect a high-quality product, and I can't see them (or at least, not many) heading off to a trad kit car show. If Grosvenor decide they can't make it work, then maybe the future will be for kit car companies to take space at the major car gatherings over the summer - Goodwood, Silverstone, NEC Classic Show maybe, that kind of thing. Probably expensive though, and it'll be passed on to customers one way or t'other.
    Meanwhile, if you've got a desirable car (e.g. Strat rep of any sort), right now you're quids in. Look after it and you can't lose.

This actual situation is quite worrying and it’s a pity to know all this troubles!!

Hopefully it’s going better in a near future and with Brexit more Covid pandemic Kitcar shows and almost kitcar industry won’t dying!!

For sure if you are lucky enough to got a Strat rep or a kit in order keep them for a long time…it’s probably better than money in the bank!!!
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 11-02-2022 at 13:27.