Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stoneleigh and Newark Shows 2022

Stoneleigh and Newark Shows 2022

Please note the Stoneleigh National Kitcar Show is scheduled for Sunday 1st May and Monday 2nd May this year (Spring Bank Hol)

I understand the Sunday will be the day for the AGM - but I'm sure Norm will confirm the details.

The one-day entry fee this year will be £5 for drivers of kitcars and £15 for passengers (unless under 16 in which case free). If camping the fee incl. entry on both days will be £15 for kitcar drivers and £25 for passengers.

I am hoping (and expecting) to get our usual pitch in Block 51A

There will also be a Newark Show on 23rd and 24th July - fee £10 in advance £13 on the day - and free entry for kitcar drivers. More details to follow

Peter

Re: Stoneleigh and Newark Shows 2022

Peter, See PM.

thanks Chris - responded.

SEC Member

Big Ta for posting the details, Pete, and also thanks for sorting the marquee as well.

As Chairman, I can confirm the AGM will be held at Stoneleigh on Sunday 1st May, 12:00. This year though, I promise not to lose the *&!!@?! minutes afterwards....

We'll be having a marquee at Stoneleigh as usual, but as with last year, no hot drinks or hot dogs/burgers. Or not yet, anyway - we'll see how it's all panning out. We're also planning on booking a pitch at Newark, but no marquee there so bring a brolly and a chair!

I'll be creating a separate "AGM" thread shortly, so if you're coming and want anything discussing, you can bung it in that thread for the Agenda. Watch out for that one!

They’re getting greedy on the entry fee I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NoCorseChris View Post
    They’re getting greedy on the entry fee I think.
    It's an ever decreasing spiral I fear.
    Traditionally they would cover the cost of hiring the venue and hosting the event by selling floor space to the exhibitors and then maybe turn this into profit by selling tickets to the visitors/foot traffic who visit the show.
    Nowadays there are considerably less exhibitors and the show is smaller so to balance the (no doubt escalating) venue costs they then have to use the visitors entrance fee instead of selling the exhibitor stand space to help cover the cost of hosting the event.
    The lower the attendance and number of exhibitors one year then the higher the ticket price has to be the following year just to break even. The irony being that it therefore now costs the public more to gain entrance to see a much smaller show....
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 10-02-2022 at 11:58.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Craig, you're right, but what else can they do? At least they're still making the effort. And a fiver's not much for a day out....in fact I always used to wonder how they managed to make it work, letting so many in for free. I guess we'll soon see if it's a show that can continue to sustain itself. But we also had this discussion pre-covid when they were looking at resurrecting Newark in 2020, wondering if having two shows would split the exhibitors and public between them, rather than everyone attending both. I expect they must have run the figures and they think they can make it work, rather than just jumping in with a large dollop of hope? Or maybe that's just me being optimistic!

It just occurred to me that I've visited the Newark Show way (way, way) back in 2001 on my way down to Centre Parcs in Elveden for a weekend. I guess it must have been on the main road because I'd no idea it was on and only saw a sign for it as I was passing by. I remember nothing about it other than Robin Hoods seemed pretty cool.

I'm not saying they are wrong for trying it's just a reflection of the times we live in. From my experience though the organisers could be a bit more proactive in inviting/encouraging exhibitors to attend.
    I know the people who ran Newark previously struggled to break even which then lead to its demise.
    The event clashed with LeMans or another major event and it subsequently only took a bad weather forecast to put visitors off & the organisers then find themselves on the wrong side of breaking even.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 10-02-2022 at 12:01.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

I'm inclined to agree with Norm - I really dont think a fiver is a lot of money to get into the show with a kitcar (or even a Stratos replica!) - and even £15 quid isnt bad these days for non-kitcar attendees.. The Goodwood FoS - although hardly a straight comparison - is around £70 . I applaud the effort of Grosvenor shows for trying to make it work - but if they cant make it work what are the alternatives ?