Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Hexham

Re: Hello from Hexham

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
    You could say the same for the Lynx D type, a Montreal on carbs ( the non burning sort of Montreal) the Eagle e type.
    I could if I really knew what they were.

I wasn't having a dig at anything or anyone. I'm just looking at it from a simplistic viewpoint that upwards of £200k is a lot of money to spend on something that's "indistinguishable from the original" without being original when the entry point for buying an original is "only" 2 or 3 times that amount and if you've got upwards of £200k to spend on a replica then you've likely got enough loose change to get an original original. The only guy I know who fits into that camp owns an LB. Make of that what you will.

Mind you, as Guy says, maybe owners of originals will buy replicas of their cars in the same way that I bought a 1/18th scale model of mine. Well, actually I bought a 1/1 replica of my 1/18 scale model so that blows sense out of the water I guess. Anyhow, as I say, it takes all sorts.

I saw a man with an F40 bring his car to a show, unload it, start it, load it up and that was it. Maybe just owning it made him happy. But I want to tinker and drive a car I have and you guys can do that with yours and you built em and you can fix em whether you spent 20k or 200k on it.
    He possibly only went along to the show in an unselfish manner to give pleasure to the dozens of folk attending who'd never seen an F40 and started it up for the 100s of folk who'd never heard one. I'm sure he'd rather be out driving it.

Anyhow...... Busso engine gets my vote as well
    Last edited by renmure; 21-02-2022 at 23:37.

Free user

You could say the same for the Lynx D type, a Montreal on carbs ( the non burning sort of Montreal) the Eagle e type. I saw a man with an F40 bring his car to a show, unload it, start it, load it up and that was it. Maybe just owning it made him happy. But I want to tinker and drive a car I have and you guys can do that with yours and you built em and you can fix em whether you spent 20k or 200k on it.
    watched a YouTube video the other day of the guy who bought the Chardonnay blue Listerbell , it was parked next to a concourse Lamborghini Muira next to that was a porsche 918 plus others yet he stated out of all of them if he had to choose it would be the LB He said the LB cost less that the engine rebuild on the muira! At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what it is if it floats your boat and lights a fire what else can you ask for! These things are meant to be enjoyed otherwise what’s the point

SEC Member

What is original though. My ‘sud is an 88 33 motor on a 1983 shell with a early sud ti close ratio box circa 72. There are MX5s the length of the country with Meiser R suspension, Wilwood brakes, recaros, adjustable control arms, bracing all over and a turbo. There are even mx5s with corvette engines. I suppose these cars still have a chassis number from their manufacture. But that’s it really and they drive nothing like the cars that left the factory.

It shouldnt be that much of a debate over what is original - it's what it came out of the manufacturers factory with. Restomods and replicas are a different kettle of fish - some equally as nice to own as a thoroughbred original - and as commented with the Chardonnay blue Stratos replica (good choice of colour incidentally) - sometimes more fun !

For what it's worth, my opinion has always been that the 'Original' Stratos was a 'Kit Car'. It just happened to be assembled by 'Lancia'.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"

SEC Member

What he says ^^

They even managed to put it together slightly slapdash, just to stay true to the kit car ethos of the 70s. Top blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
    For what it's worth, my opinion has always been that the 'Original' Stratos was a 'Kit Car'. It just happened to be assembled by 'Lancia'.

I agree with that as well. It's one of the things that, in my opinion, make Stratos replicas really ideal kit cars. All the idiosyncrasies like cheapo drop down side windows, less than ideal window sealing and weather proofing, simple external catches for securing bodywork, simple scoops and holes in the roof for ventilation, fiberglass bodywork, etc. Infact all the sort of rough compromises that come with a traditional kit car are. with the Stratos, replicating (or improving on) the original rough compromises that came with the original cars.

Free user

It does make you wonder if Lancia had not imploded in on it self if the stratos would have been resurrected along the line of the current stratos recreation

SEC Member

Makes sense to me. I at the start of this journey but Gerry sent me the manual to be going on with and I’ve set about buying bits - there isn’t a lot to buy is there. I feel like the apprentice sent of to Fiat with a barrow to get 500 off of lock sets and latches to add to one body and one engine gearbox set.

SEC Member

Hi Andrew - also in Hexham and at exactly the same stage!