Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

Well that's it for another year! A great weekend with some great company, who all seemed to enjoy the route and the hotel, and even the weather played along! As usual the cars attracted loads of attention and probably resulted in a rise in A&E numbers due to people with cricked necks....
    I'd thought there'd not be much traffic on the route and fortunately I was proved right. So we had a good run down the A591 from Keswick through Grasmere, Ambleside and Bowness, doing the posing thing before heading off through Kendal and then on toward the Pennines. The B6277 from Middleton-in-Teesdale to Alston was, as usual, fantastic with hardly any cars and was a bit of an eye-opener for some crews, in a good way The final stretch from Dalston back to the hotel took us up on the B5299 just north of Caldbeck for great views out over the Solway Firth and beyond to Scotland, obviously helped by the good weather. And then of course we had a couple of nights of fun, banter and talking general sh*te which is always mucho fun!
    No doubt more pics will follow, but have a look at the FB page of the Fat Lamb Inn near Ravenstonedale, where we stopped for a bevvy around lunchtime. It's run by a bit of a car nut and the rooms are full of motoring-related stuff.
    Here's a weird coincidence though. I headed over to Cockermouth after leaving the hotel, and stopped to fill up with the ole fossil brew. Only bumped into a guy I used to work with - as in, sit opposite - when I was at United Utilities in Warrington....small world or what? It was quite busy there so amazed he noticed me. Couldn't have been the bright yellow Strat, surely?

Re: Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

Not how I wanted to finish a great weekend. We broke down on the M6 but are on our way home. Great way to save fuel !!. No idea what?s wrong with the car but hopefully something easy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_7325.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	20029
    Last edited by Phubb; 29-08-2022 at 23:21.

SEC Member

And it was all going so well for you. Given you've only just recommissioned the car I thought it was brilliant, so it's pretty good going that it got up there, all round the route and almost home....there are bound to be a few things that give up after years of no use. What d'ya think, fuel pump?

I’m thinking ignition - points closed, advance/retard failure? as it started with what felt like a misfire that progressed quickly to no power and the engine just stopping, but it could be a multitude of things of course.
    After such a great weekend it was a real shame it went pear shaped.
    I’m just so pleased I had taken out insurance with Adrian Flux with get you home breakdown for ?40 or so extra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    And it was all going so well for you. Given you've only just recommissioned the car I thought it was brilliant, so it's pretty good going that it got up there, all round the route and almost home....there are bound to be a few things that give up after years of no use. What d'ya think, fuel pump?

Peter, just spotted the post of your misfortune, that was a real shame after such a great weekend for you both. How fortunate that you had the foresight to invest in the get you home service.

Robin.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2329.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	20033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2330.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	20034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2333.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	20035

Visit to the Fat Lamb Inn on Saturday afternoon, a short refreshing break before continuing on the rest of the route.

Norman, suitably dressed with Leah who appears to be turning the key to wind him up.

Sorry Norman, that you appear to be going in for a crash dive !!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Norm suitable dressed for the occasion.jpg  
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 01-09-2022 at 08:21.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"

SEC Member

Robin, she's always winding me up one way or another. But I try and return the sentiiment whenever I can