Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

SEC Member

Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

Guys and Gals,

At last, the announcement you've all been waiting for! Yes, it's the Northern Run Weekend, which for a while looked like it might not be happening as I couldn't find anywhere that could host us - or at least, at a reasonable price.... but finally, we've got somewhere to stay other than spending two nights in the car eating takeaways from a chippy!

The hotel is the CASTLE INN HOTEL, BASSENTHWAITE, which is a 4-star joint complete with pool, sauna, gym, games room, small golf course (I think you have to climb over old VWs or something) and other stuff. The only dates they had available were over the August Bank Holiday, which I'd normally avoid due to the presence of large numbers of caravans and sleeping drivers, but I think we might be OK in that regard with the route I've got planned. So, it's 2 nights dinner, bed & brekky on Fri and Sat, 26th and 27th August, checking out on Sun 28th. Price for all this goodness is £85 per person per night, therefore £340 for a couple for the weekend. The only potential problem is that they only had 13 double/twin rooms available, so I've reserved all of them - but it means you'll have to decide if you're coming ASAP, cos once they're gone we won't be able to ask for more. They're also only holding these rooms till July 1st, after which any unsold ones (haha) will be put back on general offer and if you do try to book, you'll be paying full price.

To book a room, call 01768 776401 and have your credit/debit card to hand, and say you're with the Norm Briers group and mention the dates. At this stage they'll take no money, but will run your card 7 days before the event, at which point the money is non-refundable. Oh, another thing - if you're on your own it's still £85/night, but there's a £40/night supplement. Our contact is Anna, who seems very personable, but if she's not around you'll still be OK with one of the receptionists.

Enough of the accommodation, what about the route? Well, should be an interesting one - we'll kick off with a section through the Lakes, which cos of the dates may or may not involve contact with the Great Unwashed, but then we'll head East and onto interesting Pennines roads, some of which may be familiar and others which deffo won't. Approx distance is 170 miles but obviously you don't have to do the whole thing and can dive off the route at any time....or even not do any at all and just mooch around instead

Anyhow, if you're going for it, update this thread once you've booked so I know who'll be there and who I can make fun of. And don't rely on the list of people on here as a guide to how many rooms might be left - there'll be non-club peeps going as well....

More info as and when, but at least the gig is actually on now!

Cheers!

Norm
    Last edited by Normb666; 07-04-2022 at 16:28.

Re: Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

It's a fair trek south to go on this Northern Run.

SEC Member

Re: Northern Drive-Out 2022, Lakes and Pennines - Fri26th to Sun 28th August (Bank Hol Weekend)

Spend a night in Blackpool beforehand, then it'll be a "Northern" Run, as well as rather more genteel

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Spend a night in Blackpool beforehand
    When I was a kid Blackpool was THE summer holiday destination for us Dundee folk.
    We could never afford it so went to Fleetwood each year and had a tram ride to Blackpool for a day.
    I remembered it as being magical.

Wendy and I went on a nostalgia trip to Blackpool and Fleetwood on our way back from seeing the car at Craig's about a year ago. Well, I guess they say never meet your heroes. The best bit about the weekend was that it was when one of the big storms was here and it was monsoon weather so everywhere was shut.

Anyhow, I'll try to make trip.
    Last edited by renmure; 07-04-2022 at 21:43.

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    It's a fair trek south to go on this Northern Run.
    Delmer this is the same weekend as the Silverstone classic isn't it, its the north south divide thing I'm off to Silverstone spectating.
    Ante you booked in for that weekend trip Jim!!

It is the same weekend as the Silverstone Classic, which is a month later than normal, this year.

SEC Member

Choices, choices, eh....sorry to tax the little grey cells and force a decision, but I didn't really have much choice over the dates. All the other places that did have availability were looking at another 100 quid or more, which I thought was a bit fruity given that we only wanted to stay there, not take all the furniture home with us

Just tried to book but reception said "please send an email to reservations@castleinnhotel.co.uk"................ so email was just sent !

Cheers Phil

SEC Member

You shoulda given me a call cos I was up there this afternoon...coulda done it for ya

Reason for the fact-finding trip was cos I arranged everything over the phone last Sunday, having never been there in person and only seeing the photos on the website. How to describe it....sort of an upmarket Shap Wells, with extra facilities? Rooms were nice, pool is large, fair-sized gym, and outdoor grounds/seating area is pleasant. Plenty of car parking space too. I reckon we'll be fine

Hi Norm
    We have only just got back from a long weekend in Inverary... so just tried to book it straight away..
    Take it that its all ok
    will let you know when i get an email reply
    Cheers