Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: checking ionos mess is sorted

checking ionos mess is sorted

just checking

SEC Member

Re: checking ionos mess is sorted

Just so you all know, the prblem with the Forum yesterday was caused by Ionos (who host it) doing a systems upgrade which clashed with the software that runs our forum. There was no forewarning of them doing this work, which I thought was pretty unprofessional, and it meant our Webmaster, Ste (see above) being on the phone for hours till gone midnight. It also meant a restore of the forum database had to be performed from a slightly older backup, and that's why any posts over the last couple of days have disappeared.

So, a disappointing effort from Ionos, and a massive Thanks to Ste for his work in resolving the cock-up. He says he'll look at the possibility of using a different platform going forward, but we could lose some functionality...watch this space.

Once again, Big Ta to Ste, which I'm sure you'll all echo.

- Chairman Norm

Noted that a couple of replies to threads are no longer there..................have we lost a couple days of history ?
    Hawk HF3000 - Engine: Alfa GTV 3.0L 24v V6, Dry Sump - Gearbox: Sadev 6 Speed Sequential ST90-14 - Suspension: Nitron 3 Way Adjustable - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive - Tyres: Pirelli P7 Corsa

I don’t think to much was lost, I must admit I was surprised when I looked this morning and a post I put on late yesterday to the Wilton Wake Up had vanished!!! I can only recall a question that Guy put on to Quicksands string being missing other than my own. Obviously Quicksand noticed the problem as well.

Thanks Ste for sorting it, some of us are just incapable when it comes to technology.

Robin
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 28-05-2022 at 15:18.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"

SEC Member

So, it seems we had another forum issue yesterday/last night. I mailed Ste again and he was already on the case, waiting for Ionos to do some stuff to get things to the stage where he could get the forum back up, but at that time (9pm) he'd already spent some considerable time on it and decided to leave it till the morning. Anyway, seems to be working again now, so join me in giving him a Big Hand for putting so much effort in.... thanks again Ste!!!

Yes thenks Steve - isnt it about time we got a proper managed service ? - no disrespect to Steve's efforts - but he shouldnt have to spend hours doing this sort of work.

Completely agree on the manged service, we dodged a bullet on Friday and then lots our own safe route to keep the Website as it is

The next problem is the PHP version (the language the website is written in) is now on extended support and only a matter of time until that is upgraded, and we know for certain our VB forum is on a version that wont work on that

Will discuss with VB what the steps are to get us to a managed platform with regular updates

Regards

I thought summat had gone funny last night, thought it was me! Really grateful to Ste for sorting it.

We really don't want to lose the website contents again, it was a disaster last time to lose valuable info and experience.

SEC Member

Chris, there's actually a very low-tech way of making sure we don't lose any data in future. If you buy a couple of hundred A4 pads and copy every post in every thread.....

....and No I can't do it, I'm busy keeping you lot amused. And even if you're not amused.....I am

No, I'm using a high-tech method. I'm taking a Polaroid photo of every screen and pasting them into a scrap book.