Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decals & Sticker or not

Decals & Sticker or not

If your building a replica rally car and would like to apply a moderate amount of decals/ sticker. Will this restrict the places and events you could potentially take your car, just wondering what others have encountered ?
    Also is there any restrictions on advertising you can get pulled up on. Dave

Re: Decals & Sticker or not

I've never had any issues with the scheme on my car but it's not used competitively. Nobody has ever made any comments on it to me, not even coppers for the number on the doors..

I think Gerry has had an issue with the red/white Marlboro car at the NEC. Advertising a cigarette brand is a bit of a no no.

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post

I think Gerry has had an issue with the red/white Marlboro car at the NEC. Advertising a cigarette brand is a bit of a no no.

Guy
    Bloody kill joys. The don't seem to mind JPS on old Lotus F1 cars and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    Bloody kill joys. The don't seem to mind JPS on old Lotus F1 cars and the like.
    I had my Type 72 Exige in full JPS livery

Mind you, I wasn't against a bit of Marlboro livery either

Thankfully I've grown out of such childish, attention seeking behavior. Nearly.

We mainly do Classic Tours with mine, where the cut off age date for vehicles entered is usually around the mid 1980’s, but the organisers regs usually say that they will accept entries of more modern cars of an interesting nature, and have not really had any problems until recently, almost asking us to take it.

We have however, encountered an objection earlier this year where I was asked not to take it due to the decoration, on an event that toured the Cotswolds, where cars that are out of the ordinary draw focused attention to the event and thus objections to the local police and in turn the organising Club, from the vast number of second home owner weekend occupiers in that part of the country.

The entry was limited to 60, so not a huge number, but that is the problem that is increasingly a problem and the organisers understandably do not want to lose the ability to put future events on.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"

SEC Member

So the spirit of Wordsworth and Wainwright are not yet extinct. People who live in beautiful parts of the country and tell people all about it, through their writings or more recently on social media, and revel in the envy of those who can't afford to live there but don't want the hoi polloi to venture too close in case it ruins their idyllic lifestyle. I don't get the organisers' acquiescence either - these cars are road legal and have as much right to drive through that area as anyone else, and it's only for a weekend anyway. Hmmm....maybe next year's Northern Run will be happening somewhat further south....

I've never heard of this type of objection before - it seems strange to me. Being lucky enough to live in a popular and beautiful part of the world (South Downs National Park) we locals often complain amongst ourselves about the volume of visitors but not about cars bearing racing/rallying liveries - even if travelling in convoy. We have so much traffic here that you wouldn't be able to distinguish a convoy from the normal traffic flow on a busy weekend. I cant see what difference there is between a car in racing/rally livery and a van or truck with it's company name on the side ! It's a funny old world isnt it!

Well That's all very good seems like I may just have to go with the gut feeling, just do what you wana do. as long as your on the right side of the law of course... If We all drove around in grey cars wouldn't the country be a boring place.
    After all we are keeping rallying History alive. that's my take on it Cheers Dave

SEC Member

I think event organisers probably have a different perspective than we might have as individuals. They will hear the objections local residents have while carrying out PR.
    I have heard that problems the Tour of Mull has in this regard come from incomers rather than true locals aware of the events history and value.

Likewise the NIMBY residents around Aintree race circuit (and others) who think that buying a property there entitles them to object to pre-existing motor sport events...

It's their solicitors they should be suing for not letting them know about what happens at these places.

Guy