Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LB go above and beyond the call of duty

LB go above and beyond the call of duty

More specifically Craig who made an heroic 300+ mile round trip to get my car back on the road.

After 30 or so spirited miles into the Yorkshire Dales drive, I became airborne after taking a rather innocent looking hump back bridge. Not for the first time that day I must add, I guess the combination of extra torque from the Supercharged Toyota and grippy tyres was too much for the CV joint and we lost all drive.
    In some ways I was lucky to have stopped 2 miles from the highest pub in Britain (Tan Hill) but with no phone signal things got tricky. After exhausting options with the AA, (check the small print) and several message exchanges with Craig, Craig downed tools in the garden (sorry Lydia) drove to the LB workshop to pick up some tools and a new CV joint and made the 150 mile journey to Tan Hill.
    To cut a long story short, 20 minutes later we had (actually Craig) had the new part fitted and I was on my way back to the hotel.
    No I didn't complete the whole route, but I think I had a good enough excuse and I even managed to make it in time for dinner.
    So it was an eventful run for me and Craig at least but more importantly I would just like to say a massive thank you to Craig and Lydia for letting him come to my rescue, you sir are a hero.

Dave

p.s to everyone sitting down to dinner when I arrived back at the hotel, thank you for the warm welcome, looking forward to the next one

Re: LB go above and beyond the call of duty

Well done Craig.

What was the small print that stopped the AA riding to the rescue?

Well... David was trying to keep ahead of us in the Boxster !!....
    Seriously.... well done Craig ...great effort !.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Well... David was trying to keep ahead of us in the Boxster !!......

Should have been able to stay in front of a Beetle even without drive............................................................

SEC Member

Yep, I was totally gobsmacked when Dave got in touch to let me know that Craig was driving up with the part, and he was hoping to be back at the hotel in time for dinner....and bloody L, he was!

I can, though, see the logic in Craig being the Hero of the Hour, cos he now owns Dave's arse for the next 10 years at least

Thinking about it, if anything's gonna go Pop under such circumstances, though, it's preferable that it's an outer CV joint (easily swapped) rather than something stripping inside the box... anyway, Dave's new name is now Lazarus Evans. And I'm driving quite slowly in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    Well done Craig.

I'm interested to hear this too - I once had the AA refuse to fund the recovery of a car on a trailer after the trailer brakes failed. Cost me ?800 or summat back last millenium. At least they organised it for me.
    Last weekend I had a broken spring on a BMW and they would only deliver it to a garage, not to my house. (in retrospect, fixing it myself would not have been worth the ?110 it cost for parts and labour at my local garage!)

Well done Craig! I imagine this isn't a routine part of LB aftersales?
    Last edited by ChrisCar6; 12-06-2022 at 17:10.

Above & beyond, impressive, wish more folk in 'normal life' had a better sense of caring & the world might not be in so much of a mess!!! Nice one Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    Well done Craig.

I think it is more of a case of "scope creep" I have been on the same plan for the last 25 years and in that time have on a couple of occasions been recovered to home.
    I think they may have re-defined the plans and the one I'm on is now just roadside assistance with recovery to a safe place within 10 miles.
    A case of complacency at renewal time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Well... David was trying to keep ahead of us in the Boxster !!....
    I think it's more that he was having to try far too hard to keep up with me in my pov-spec LB 2.5V6 Popular Plus

Well done Craig!
    Richard C

Quote Originally Posted by STR_Strat View Post
    "scope creep"
    David, in the light of your experience, I was ?instructed? by my co-driver on the way home, to carry out a review of our policy as a matter of urgency!!

Incidentally, the co-driver started the drive home and continued for the whole trip, which created various comments from casual observers at a couple of comfort breaks, when she emerged from the drivers seat. Being in the passenger seat also allowed me to watch the Red Arrows display as we passed our local Cosford Air Show just as we arrived home.
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 13-06-2022 at 08:56.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"