Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minor gauges

Re: Minor gauges

I too did a bit of a refurb on my minor gauges a while back, mainly because one of them had a chrome ring, and also wanted to check calibration of the temp gauges, mixing-and-matching with some spares I had.

Can't put a clock in my dash as I use the battery cutoff all the time, but have oil temp as well as water temp, oil pressure, etc.

Original post said that Voltmeter (Battery Condtion) multi-lingual panel was printed, so is that something that can be repeated?

Have a similar issue with my oil temp gauge, which only has English (white) text albeit in the correct font. It does now have the innards from a water temp gauge with (very near-enough) the same calibration with C/F white/yellow text, so closer to correct, fwiw
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3171.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	20411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3174.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	149.0 KB 
ID:	20412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3177.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	20413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3179.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	20414
    Here's a pic of an original dash layout, for reference
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201003-181458.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	20415

John, the answer to you question is yes, see below
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails voltmeter refurbished.jpg   Voltmeter type face.jpg   Italic Minor gauges 1.jpg  

and today, I finally got the new clock fitted and working, so now everything matches. Now all I have to do is sort the lighting out to make it uniform and dimmable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230102_145752[1].jpg  

SEC Member

It's been mentioned on this thread about converting 4 cylinder tachometer to 6 cylinder.
    Has anyone experience of using this item:
    https://www.brunosteering.com/produc...r-4-6-8-10-12-
    cylinder/

Looks ideal and a decent price.

Sorry, only just picked up on this thread. Nice work on those gauges chaps, they look superb.

Re the 4 to 6 conversion, yes, as JR mentioned, I used to do them, but that external box John spotted looks a lot easier! My mod involved uncasing the tacho, replacing the old electronics with new, then recalibrating, and as JR also noted, the input circuitry needed tweaking depending on if it was coil or ECU driven.

I think I might have one or two of the PCBs left if anyone wants to DIY, but if I do, they are bare boards and I don’t have the components in stock.

If anyone is desperate, I’ll help if I can, but I’m not ‘offering a service’ as it were.

One note, if you happen to be using an aftermarket ECU, it’ll almost certainly have a built-in tacho conversion feature allowing you to use a stock 4 cylinder tacho.

That external box certainly looks a good option for using 4-cylinder tachos.
    And could potentially have the settings tweaked to change the readout if there is a desire to 'under-read' the revs for any reason. Noise tests, anyone?

Well, I finally finished the re-lighting of my instruments with LED's courtesy of Pantera Electronics in the USA, and Chris Jarvis (for the bulb holders)
    I hate vehicle electrics, its just so much spaghetti to me, took me ages to work out the intermittent lighting failures were because the pea light holders were really brittle, and falling apart.
    Having finally twigged, I then had to make some lighting sub loom from various spare parts, your average sparky probably would have done it in minutes, me all morning, so I'm now going to put my feet up.
    All I've got to do now is work out how the fibre optic cables work, wire the light source into the cockpit loom, and light the rocker switches.......

Pantera Electronics (in the USA) ledgaugelamp (pantera-electronics.com) source of the dimmable LED instrument bulbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230211_141337.jpg   20230211_141312.jpg  
    Last edited by Griff; 01-05-2023 at 18:46. Reason: additional information

Looks really bright and effective. Are they dimmable LEDs?

Have you put a deeper lip on the instrument cowl, ori insert the panel further, to reduce reflections on the screen?

John, no the panel is only recessed the normal amount, but the panel is swaged above the switches to increase the angle of inclination
    The LED's came from Pantera Electronics in the USA pantera electronics (pantera-electronics.com) are available in white and other colours, and are dimmable ledgaugelamp (pantera-electronics.com)
    I've had an email in the last week, telling me that they are testing a cyan (red version) as well.
    They have a number of other electronic parts, that may also be useful

John - Cyan is blue ?