Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minor gauges

Minor gauges

A little while ago I refurbished my speedo, tacho, and all five minor gauges. Guy (bless him!!) remarked that he couldn't live with the major and minor gauges being different.
    Suffering from OCD, I then recommissioned another set of four gauges in the correct font, that then inevitably lead to me looking at the battery condition gauge (the only one I hadn't recommissioned) every time I got in the car, and gritting my teeth!!

Back tracking a little, the original cars had an ammeter in the dash, but not relishing the thought of 120A running in the back of the dash, and concluding that a voltmeter was both safer and more informative I decided early in my ownership to use one of these instead.
    Veglia Borletti never made the battery condition/voltmeter in dual language or with the correct font, so I commissioned one, and finally yesterday I fitted it, having arrived in the post a couple of days earlier.

I also find a time clock very useful in the car, and have had one fitted since first getting the car, originally this was in place of the oil temperature gauge, before I made the necessary changes to incorporate one
    but of course this original clock wasn't in the correct font, and despite refurbishing this one with the other minor gauges it also started to grate.
    One from a S1 Fulvia is graphically matched to all the other now fitted gauges, so I tracked one down, and when it finally arrives, we will have graphical harmony in the cockpit, quite sad really!!

One final note, Guy also gave me a scrap Dino tachometer, to copy the graphics, an excellent illustration of how helpful people within SEC are to one another, many thanks to him and all of you for the help and advice I've benefitted from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LatestInterior.jpg   1976-lancia-stratos-1jshr5oe0-9-780x520.jpg   Oil Temp.jpg   20220514_140542.jpg   Italic Minor gauges 1.jpg  

20211129_115452[1].jpg   clock dial - correct font 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Griff; 13-11-2022 at 16:05.

Re: Minor gauges

Hi
    All looking great.
    Question; Who did you use for the refurbishment of the gauges, as I’ve got a tachometer that’s not working, and also requires conversion from 4 to 6 cylinders.

Ian

Ian,
    I used Speedy Cables, (I've used them for years) but these days they aren't cheap, and it seems to take forever.
    I might have another contact for your tacho, I'm going away on holiday shortly, but I'll ask once I get back

So the new clock with the font to match the rest of the gauges arrived from Speedy Cables, unfortunately it didn't work, so its gone straight back to them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20221212_140403.jpg  

SEC Member

This clock stuff has prompted me to pass on some news. Apparently the Italians have installed a clock in the leaning tower of Pisa, so now they've got the time as well as the inclination.

Just thought you should know....

Is that GMT Norm, or is it leaning more towards CET?

- bloody 'ell Norm ! I think you should slope off into the corner.

SEC Member

Dunno if it's GMT or CET, but I know they got it second hand. Ahem....

One of those Tik Tok adverts?

Quote Originally Posted by Iowstratos View Post
    Hi
    All looking great.
    Question; Who did you use for the refurbishment of the gauges, as I’ve got a tachometer that’s not working, and also requires conversion from 4 to 6 cylinders.

Ian
    Hi Ian - the conversion is something that Chris used to do, many years back.
    I've got a couple of spare tachos and pretty sure one of those had been converted for six-cylinder operation, with feed from the 12v V6, which is a pretty solid signal.
    The 24v setup has a lower-power signal, I believe, for which I had a different tacho modified.
    I don't have any real need for these extra instruments now.
    Can't recall if you have 12v or 24v, and whether that old modded tacho would work for your car or not.