Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide

SEC Member

Help me decide

Here is a question for a wet miserable Sunday.

This isn?t a Hawk v LB or even an engine question. That?s nailed on for me as I hopefully got in the Hawk queue a year ago when I paid a deposit (when I think it was only 2ish years but I?m staying out of Gerry?s hair) and being a massive Alfa enthusiast engine is an easy one. And I?m ambidextrous in writing and with cars so lhd.

Since then I?ve been hunting out some of the bits that I?d need whatever - my wife thinks I?ve gone silly as I refer to my latches as ?my precious? and making sure I have the right kit and working conditions.

What it says on my deposit receipt is TBD in terms of am I taking delivery of a Stradale spec kit or a group 4. I love all versions of it as I?m sure you all do. I see a group 4 and it?s that and then I watch the video of the lime green one and it?s that.

Like most people I intend to use the car for high days and like many I?ve done bits of motorsport in the past so a bit of sprinting - maybe?The car will possibly be used most often to go from Hexham where I live to the Lake District where I grew up and where I do a lot of fell walking. That takes in some of the finest driving roads for this type of car including the U.K.s own mini Col de Turini, Hartside Pass.

So some of you will have built rally types and some Stradales. What swung it for you?

Re: Help me decide

Mine started off as a Stradale but after 4 or 5 years I put the Group 4 square arches on it. A tough decision and hard to take a power file to pristine bodywork but I have absolutely no regrets. The look just swung it for me.

What I would say is that the car is pretty wide in Group4 format and not ideally suited, especially in LHD form (mine has been both, currently LHD) to a blast around narrow lake district lanes. If you think its going to spend a lot of time in that area then I'd strongly suggest a RHD Stradale. Unless you don't object to getting stuck behind Sunday drivers (And when you're in a Stratos then everyone else is a Sunday driver.

SEC Member

Thanks Guy - that’s a good thought, funnily enough after posting I went back to look at the photos I took of the Northern Run last year and consciously noted even the Stradales were filling our local roads.

I know Hawk are going to Race Retro. Do you know if they take many cars with them?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewF View Post
    I know Hawk are going to Race Retro. Do you know if they take many cars with them?
    The Hawk stand at Race Retro is quite small, compared to the kit shows at Stoneleigh.
    Will be just a two-car stand, though I don't know which cars Gerry will take. It won't be two Strats as he has produces Cobras and Daytonas, as well as metal-tubbed and grp-bodied Stratos replicas.

I am planning to go along with my Stradale but this isn't like the kit shows where owners have space to park, so don't expect to see others present.

SEC Member

I’m going to go to both and anywhere else Hawk are going I find out about. I had a very boring 2022.

Cool Re: Help me decide

Andrew, just to make life a little more complicated, in order of width there are three versions available, Stradale, round arch Gp. IV, and square arch Gp. IV.
    If it helps, I had no problems on Hardknot, Wrynose, Birker, or Corney Fell when I took my round arch car up to West Cumbria. The first car in the picture is Stradale, and the second round arch Gp. IV (both Hawks)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180831_103257.jpg  

Decisions decisions, with my own build I am going LHD, better placement of pedals in tight area (throttle foot not up against wheel tub) plan to drive a lot in Spain France Italy hillclimbs rallies etc. Good luck in your decision making.

Andrew, to put my twopennath in, I agree with Grif. Mine is Gp4 square arch, and I don't have any trouble on the narrow lanes, which frankly I prefer as a driving experience, in fact to a point it helps as oncoming traffic seem to think that something the size and shape of a Stable door on edge is approaching them. I link below to a post I put on back in 2020, see post 81. (My wife now drives it quite often.)

Northern Drive-Out - Coast & Castles Run, Fri/Sat 7th/8th August 2020
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"

Regarding driving position, I don't there is an issue at all with the throttle pedal on RHD, but I'd think LHD would be MUCH better for your other foot - as you could have a footrest, or use the inner arch, whereas with rhd there's little to no space to brace your left foot.

I've not had an lhd stratos but owned a couple of integrales in the past. Overtaking isn't overly affected, imho, from having lhd as with these fast cars, it is no problem to drop back further for better view of potential traffic ahead. Occasionally, you can see up the left side of the car in front, which can sometimes help see a line ahead to overtake.

Only real disadvantage to LHD in UK cars is at toll booths or car park barriers. If you travel abroad, them the lhd will help out there, of course.

An unpopular (perhaps) opinion from me but if the only body version available was the Stradale then I'd never have been interested enough in them to want one. I think they look pretty and nimble and cute but not for me, so it would have to be wide arch GP4 style. Square looks madder than round so that was easy. I've never been away from narrow roads but not noticed any issues in relation to width. Being LHD I have to confess that I still catch myself out at some junctions and have to jiggle about in the seat or release the harnesses but hopefully I'll learn.