Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Concept Project

SEC Member

Re: A Concept Project

Not a huge fan no. Apologies if you are associated to them in any way but my reasoning is this.

Many surviving classics are all about their engine. Any Alfa or Lancia or indeed Fiat, any MGB - the B series was described as a duck farting through long grass but that’s it, that’s the car. What’s a classic BMW without its M10 or straight 6. Even a mk1 Freelander was unusual as they fitted the high revs fantastic when they are working k. Can anyone imagine a mk1 mx5 with a battery. The car is famous for marrying that concept to the twin cam and slick box. When it comes to Stratos replicas, it’s just impractical if not impossible to source Dinos. But I’ve no doubt had the Busso been available that’s what it would have got as it’s been used in many rally cars and a supercharged twin cam must have been in the running so to my mind both engines are entirely reasonable substitutes. The PRV also makes sense.

There are a handful of cars saddled with a bad motor that survive. I used to have a Matra Murena and it was saddled with the most mundane motor ever but even most MEC members would faint it was given volts.

Then there is the compromise. To the extent there are issues with EV it’s range. Surely the range of a converted classic is going to be dire. Classics can be used for high days and holidays. For all their shortcomings enthusiasts do like a road trip. Look at the Northern Run Out - how many people in my region got to see a piece of history, the worlds most famous car because a handful made the trip.

If people want a classic EV both Morgan and Caterham will need to adopt in due course and Porsche and Lotus already have . At some point we’ll have an electric mx5 designed for that purpose. If the poor chap with his mini could have his time again would a mini spirit or Ogle kit have been a better starting point?
    Last edited by AndrewF; 05-02-2023 at 17:49.

Andrew you make some good and valid points but I am thinking that some of the older cars are no longer quite as practical as daily runners but have a great period appearance - like a P6 Rover, a Triumph 2000 or a Sunbeam Rapier . If electrification keeps them on the road as practical daily - or regular - runners then I think that's preferable to keeping them locked in a garage for 9 months of the year - but each to his own ! I dont feel that strongly either way but can see both sides of the argument.
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 06-02-2023 at 12:19.

SEC Member

Interesting article (but an unfortunate typo - the shipping Co. apparently "burns all E-cars , hybrids ..... " .) I think it should be "bans" - but interesting that when they do catch fire they are very much more difficult to extinguish.
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 06-02-2023 at 19:46.

SEC Member

My family owned both a Rapier with Twin Carbs and a Triumph 2000. The 2000 is fine as long as you replace the fuel hoses. The rapier engine wise is just fine.

With all three cars the engine is not the issue to their continued operation, it’s keeping the bodywork right. It’s another reason why for real longevity and usability the Stratos appeals. Try and find a competent welder to do automotive welding…I have burnt through many panels.

As this is a Stratos forum I just had this thought. In 600 years time will people visit a city in Italy to see Gandini’s Stratos as we go to Florence to see Michelangelo’s David now.
    Last edited by AndrewF; 06-02-2023 at 20:59.