Thread: Hello all

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello all

Hi, new guy here. Posted in the Stratos forum already not noticing this section though my post there hasn't been approved yet. Mulling building a Hawk kit, though I'm finding that it could take a lot of time and work just to obtain!

Re: Hello all

Welcome to the madhouse! The route into ownership is indeed a long one these days. Gerry emailed me last night to say that an order has been placed from Ireland and has been quoted at 30-36 months for delivery. Keeping an eye on classified ads and listings here is your most likely route to getting behind the wheel of a Stratos replica but Left Hand Drive ones aren't common, the majority being built in RHD in the UK. Please also explore the how registration in your state works and import of a fully built car into the USA. There are a few in the USA but they rarely come on the market. There is a completed LB in Norway at the moment that was for sale, I don't know it's still available. Other than that, it's a case of paying a deposit to Hawk to get onto the build list and patience.
    Guy

Hawk currently have a waiting time of 30-36 months so are quite busy if you intend going down this route you are better to get your deposit sorted sooner than later as lead times will only extend alternatively second hand cars do come up for sale from time to time but I dont know what the implications of importing a second hand car to the states are.

30-36 months is better than what LB told me which was 5 years! Also they plan on only sending completed minus drivetrain cars to the US at this point. I very much want to build it myself.

An ideal situation for me would be to find someone's abandoned project they already started. Obviously thats a rare situation for an already rare car. While I prefer LHD, RHD is fine, and kit cars in NY are pretty much free game which is good so for example if I found someones half finished kit in England, it would be no big deal to finish and road register here.

My main problem with Hawk is I have emailed them a few times and never gotten an answer, maybe I have the wrong address or what but I just wanted to get a price for what I'm getting into, and wanted to find out how long it would take. Have not been able to get a response after emailing them a couple times in the past year. I have an Alfa 164 I am restoring, currently rebuilding the engine (~300hp), but the car TBH is gonna need a LOT of rust work so I'm considering bailing on that project, stripping off what I need for the Stratos, and going from there.

The email address for Hawk is gerry@hawkcars.co.uk LB are very busy at the moment with full order books but Craig will have confirmed to you on waiting times. Unfinished projects to come up from time to time and one was sold recently by a person on here however you may wait a while for one to come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny m View Post
    The email address for Hawk is gerry@hawkcars.co.uk LB are very busy at the moment with full order books but Craig will have confirmed to you on waiting times. Unfinished projects to come up from time to time and one was sold recently by a person on here however you may wait a while for one to come up.
    Super helpful, thank you so much!

Hi, Tom, welcome to the club forum. Guy & Kenney have given you the info on kit waiting times and good advise on the possibility of cars becoming available and being shown on here.

However you may find that being a full member rather than a free user has its advantages, as it will give you access to the full forum which includes many build streams for both Hawk and LB which give much information and tips on the assembly of cars from these kits. It, I am sure, would be very helpful with your proposed use of the 164 components as many constructors have detailed their experiences with this donor vehicle.

Full membership of the Club is very reasonable with a small annual membership fee that is about 0.50 GBP a week, and gives access to all aspects of the forum.

Robin.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"