Thread: Seats for GP4

SEC Member

Seats for GP4

Looking for advice / tips on the best seats for a new build GP4 car and where I met source them. All help welcome.

Matt

Re: Seats for GP4

I'm going Tillet B6, Sparco Pro 2000 QRT is pretty close, B6 810mm tall combination 60* - 80* deg bends, Pro 2000 867mm tall, then again depends on style type of seat, nether of my choices are original period style

When I got my bits they came with 2 TRS clubman rally seats with the high seat bolsters with holes for the belts to pass through.
    PITA to slide my butt over when getting in/out.
    Changed them to Cobra Nogaro as they have low seat sides and at the time they came with cushions in blue as a no cost option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20220807_174050.jpg   20220620_132516.jpg  
    Last edited by hollytree; 28-02-2023 at 15:26.

sorry i did not mean to post 2 photos and now cant gid rid of one of them
    Last edited by hollytree; 28-02-2023 at 15:27.

Hi Matt, whatever you go with make sure that they'll be IVA compliant.
    I think the ones I have here (for another car) need headrests fitting to them or to the rear bulkhead to pass.
    Watch out for the thickness of the padding on the base, especially if you plan/do fit them on runners as this can reduce headroom significantly, to the point it makes a helmet difficult to wear - but I think you're about the same size as me so you should be okay.
    Wing back seats look great but can be an issue with the handbrake operation if they limit your arm movement. And you need a degree of rake too, nothing upright! Finally, anything with a high side might be fouled by the helmet bin too, that's not relevant if you decide to build the car with the door bars fitted mind!

Guy

SEC Member

Just looking at Guy's comments How do you find the rake on the Cobra seat and can you access the handbrake OK?

Quote Originally Posted by hollytree View Post
    When I got my bits they came with 2 TRS clubman rally seats with the high seat bolsters with holes for the belts to pass through.
    PITA to slide my butt over when getting in/out.
    Changed them to Cobra Nogaro as they have low seat sides and at the time they came with cushions in blue as a no cost option.

SEC Member

Thanks guy - useful input.

Quote Originally Posted by moakley View Post
    Just looking at Guy's comments How do you find the rake on the Cobra seat and can you access the handbrake OK?
    I am 6'2" and I have used some extra high OMP seat brackets to give me the flexibility to muck around with angles so that my head does not hit the roof and my thighs and knees fit comfortably under the steering wheel and stalks.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292160900...b8ba3118a28bb3

I fixed unwin floor track to the car floor and then sliding runners and then the OMP brackets. That allows me to get leg length right for me.
    It took a bit of mucking about getting the unwin fixings, runners and brackets toall work together with snagging each other, but it all works.
    Handbrake clearance is fine, see pictures earlier
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184634742...Bk9SR-LJl5bTYQ

I can comfortably drive home to Silverstone in one go, fuel and WC the only need to stop in 200 miles
    Last edited by hollytree; 28-02-2023 at 20:04.

SEC Member

I still have not told Gerry whether it?s a group 4 or Stradale kit I want (I have checked in).

If I go with a group 4 it is Ridgard for me. They are still made to their period design, Bob Ridgard was apparently pretty handy behind the wheel himself and, I?ve got one. I found out about them as I used to have a CSCC Lancia Beta racer which came with one and I sold the car and kept the seat. It is by a country mile the most comfortable chair I?ve ever sat in ever - In a house, car , boat, plane whatever. It?s just lovely. RS5 - it’s great because it doesn’t have shoulder wings which just feels better to me than the winged RS9 and their modern shell equivalents.
    Last edited by AndrewF; 05-03-2023 at 11:56.