Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ferrari Dino engine & gearbox

Re: Ferrari Dino engine & gearbox

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    'Just had a closer inspection of these Dino parts:
    There is only one Lancia Stratos in the world with an outer bell housing like the one in this collection.
    The cast iron block for sale is a Fiat Dino block, not a Ferrari Dino block. They are almost identical, but the Fiat block has four threaded holes where the Ferrari block has clearance holes.
    All Dino Blocks say Fiat, ( cast by Fiat ) there is not any Ferrari reference on a so call Ferrari Dino Engine, Lancia Stratos same FIAT Block
    Enzo was concerned about V12 lineage and its mid engine layout, hence his late son's name being used
    there are 3 series of the iron Dino block alone without the first 2.0 aluminium engine so quite a few variations

Quote Originally Posted by sean999r View Post
    All Dino Blocks say Fiat, ( cast by Fiat ) there is not any Ferrari reference on a so call Ferrari Dino Engine, Lancia Stratos same FIAT Block
    I know that Fiat made them all, because Ferrari didn't have the capacity to build a homologation run. I didn't say that the giveaway was the 'FIAT' casting mark. It's a well known story.

The point I'm making is that the block for sale is out of a Fiat Dino, rather than a Ferrari Dino. The same casting, but those four threaded holes give the game away. That's why the blocks sat up on one side (see photo below)
    It shows that this set of parts is actually from lots of different Dino derivatives , rather than one.

The auction lot is a random set of Dino parts:
    The outer bell housing and drop gear set is from a 206 GT.
    The cover for the drop gears won't fit the above, because the stud configuration is different (the 2 part 206 GT is unique in this respect)
    There is no intermediate bell housing
    There is no crankshaft, no rods and no pistons shown.
    The block is from a 2400 Fiat Dino.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Block Holes.jpg  

It's good detail/knowledge like this that confirms how little I know (can remember!!!) Chris, seriously, there is at least one series of books you could do, global audience?

That’s exactly it…Fiat on all engine blocks Fiat Dino or Dino 246 GT or Lancia Stratos but threaded holes only on Fiat Dino 2.4!! See pics of different engines collected!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AEEE8048-A88E-432A-BFDD-5D812763B028.jpg   3F228CB1-3CE1-468A-AD6D-F78C5A09E475.jpg   5C07B7D5-AE74-43E3-B778-5E5DB5FD3558.jpg  
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 22-03-2023 at 14:37.

Sold for 18,000.

Probably most of it for the very rare 206 bell housing.

Pretty fare price IMO, really details like threaded holes in sump in the grand scheme of thinks who cares, unless you have an original Dino, Stratos etc (who would know when its all assembled) hence my contempt for some the classic historic scene where too many obsess over the inconsequential, particularly historic race cars, that suffered multiple crashes or were wrecked, their are very few truly original, some are assemblage of period like parts. Anyway each to his own

Case in point is this TR250 we rebuilt, raced by Pedro Rodriguez was found in USA with American V8 and straight axle, essentially only the chassis remained, the body was shot, the whole power train is pieced together body nearly everything is new replacement so were is the originality to Pedro's car when it was completed rumour had it that the owner refused an offer of $9M, I know it was later sold privately some years later for close to double that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 10.16.50.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	535.3 KB 
ID:	20832

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 10.17.20.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	20833

The threaded holes are not an issue. About 2 minutes to sort.
    The reason I mentioned it, is that it is one more clue to the that auction lot being just a collection of Dino parts that didn't belong to each other and were incomplete.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    The threaded holes are not an issue. About 2 minutes to sort.
    The reason I mentioned it, is that it is one more clue to the that auction lot being just a collection of Dino parts that didn't belong to each other and were incomplete.
    Absolutely agree, the Dino engine I rebuilt was the same ie Fiat Dino as i had to short out same miss match issue re the sump.
    Very acute viewing on your part that you noticed this .

Quote Originally Posted by sean999r View Post
    Very acute viewing on your part that you noticed this .
    It's something I've been wondering about for years, but have only just found out for certain.
    Have you noticed that the drop gear cover in the auction lot, doesn't fit the bell housing? The 206 has a unique bolt pattern, for the drop gear cover and bell housing to block.