Thread: 4 point harnesses & handbrake

4 point harnesses & handbrake

My handbrake lever, has since the beginning of time been a 'feature' in my car, the pawl has always been offset in relation to the ratchet, and in consequence the handbrake staying on when applied has always been a bit of a lottery!!
    The handbrake warning light mechanism was also a little 'sketchy'
    The alcantara gaiter has also seen better days, and my original 2" OMP belts were now out of date.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old lever 1.jpg   Old lever 2.jpg   Old lever 3.jpg   New(Edge)OMPseats.jpg  

Re: 4 point harnesses & handbrake

I eventually found Lancia Beta handbrake lever, this time chromed, and set about restoring it. I removed all the rust and repainted it satin black, polishing the chrome where required. I also replaced the warning light plunger switch, which had seen better days, and applied a little zx/1 grease to the ratchet.
    I found an alcantara handbrake gaiter on fleabay, and eventually found some 3" OMP 4 point harnesses with a quick release toggles.
    Both seats had to come out, the inner seat belt mounts also holding the central tunnel cover in place, undo the four mounting bolts, remove the handbrake cable retention pin circlip, swap over, and then reassemble.
    The only pain in the a**e, my local fastening company are moving location, and decided to move two days earlier than they had warned me about the previous week. Of course this coincided perfectly with me doing this job, grrrr!!
    Works really well now, catches every time, the warning light works correctly, and even looks a little tidier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handbrake 1.jpg   New lever & gaiter.jpg   OMP 4 point 1.jpg   New(Edge)OMPseats.jpg   New 3 inch belts.jpg  

Last edited by Griff; 01-05-2023 at 19:18.

My seats take up most of the available floor area, so normal harness mounting eye bolts, can only be used on one side. Fortunately a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of a harness mounting kit for the Porsche 914/6 which also suffers from restricted floor space, which neatly sorts that particular problem out.
    I also found these, Buy Porsche Cayman 987C/981C (2005-2016) Brey-Krause Harness Mounting | Design 911 which are a little more expensive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shroth mounting kit.jpg  
    Last edited by Griff; 01-05-2023 at 19:24. Reason: additional information

That looks very smart and cosy. I have a question about the hand brake lever, but will start a new thread.
    "Why make it easy when you can struggle"