Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stratos Kit opinion.

Stratos Kit opinion.

Hi to all Stratos Lovers!!!

I would like the general opinion on the kits available ( Hawk and Listerb)
    Both seem very well build .. the Hawk being more to the original mechanically ... the lister has
    different rear W bones and front is similar.....

Well would be good to hear from the real owners...

Thanks ...

Coupe Stratos.

Re: Stratos Kit opinion.

Well I don't own either, I have a Litton/CAE/NapierSport Corse, but I have seen the Lister Bell body and a friends NapierSport and was very impressed with the quality. The Hawk carries over all the bad handling habits of the original, the Lister Bell has made the needed improvements to solve some of those problems. Now I'm sure that all the Hawk owners out there will think I'm full of (a certain discarded substance), but one of the reasons that I choose the kit I have is because of the improved suspension. If I were to buy a kit today, it would be a Lister Bell.

I think you need to go and look at them yourself and make your own mind up as to what you think of all 3 manufacturers, how much you have to spend and how long you want to spend building and finding parts to fit.
    Everyone who has a car will probably think that there's was the best decision at the time they took it, and that would be right.

Remember its your car, and you build it the way you want to, there are no correct or incorrect builds, they are all individual, at the end of the day they are all Replicas and always will be.

But its fun trying........so I'm told...lol

I can't comment on the Lister Bell as I haven't seen one on the road yet, I wonder have LB actually built a road legal demonstrator? I'd be very nervous investing a large sum of money and time on a car I hadn't driven first!

I certainly can't fault my Hawk building and owning experience, I wanted a car with a more authentic looking chassis and suspension setup so the Hawk was an easy choice for me. Hawk have supplied something like 600 kits over the years and been around for well over 24 years plus a few Hawk Strato's kits have clocked up close to 100,000 miles so their history speaks for itself.

Which ever kit you choose and if you enjoy driving then you will love the Strato's driving experience.

Vince.
    "In the beginning I looked around but couldn't find the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself." - Dr. Ing. h.c. Ferry Porsche

www.lancia-stratos.co.uk

Transformer/Hawk HF3000 - Chassis: 1988 Spyder #045 - Engine: Alfa 166 3.0L 24v V6 - ECU: Omex 710 - Exhaust: Simpson - Tyres: Michelin TB15's / Pirelli P7 Corsa - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive.

Thanks for the opinions .. for sure I agree that one needs to see for him self to see the level he is looking for ... hope for some more opinions from others...

SEC Member

Only TWO manufacturer's at the moment!
    Anybody hoping for a Corse will have a long wait....

Well I suppose I should comment too. I built a Napiersport 'Corse' a few years back. The reason I chose that kit was, as has already been mentioned, because of the revised chassis geometry which gave much better handling characteristics. (or would if you were a capable enough driver to know the difference). Another reason was becuase of the ease of build without the need for special fabrication skills etc. It was, as the description says much more of a 'kit cat' in that most of the parts fitted together in a fairly straightforward way. A very rewarding build.
    I'm now building a Hawk which is about 80% finished having just been painted. Without getting in too deeply, the Hawk is a much more challenging car to build. More is needed in the way of fabrication and manufacture of special parts to acheive the build. If you can use spanners, a welder and have access to a small friendly engineering shop, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you don't, then you will spend more time and money sorting things.
    So why am I building a Hawk this time I hear you ask? Simple. It was the first 'unfinished kit' that came up for sale when I was looking to buy. If it had been a corse, I would probably have bought that instead. I have enjoyed (sorry, I am enjoying) the build but it is more testing than the Corse.
    If I'd had the funds available when I was looking this time round, I would have definitely ordered a Lister Bell. I've known Craig for a number of years and his knowledge of Stratos kits is probably unsurpassed having been involved with CAE in the past. He has designed and developed what will become the new benchmark in Stratos kits in the future (in my opinion anyway). Tha fact that nobody has driven one yet would not have put me off.
    Finally, I don't think you can compare any of the available kits on price. No matter how much the kit costs, by the time you have bought, made, scrounged all the parts and have a finished car, you won't know where all the money went. When I built my Corse, it cost me £22,000 and that was buying almost everything new. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be possible today and it wouldn't surprise me or, I suspect, many others here if the costs pass £30,000. It all depends on what you want.
    I'ts well established that the Hawk is the 'faithful replica' whereas the Corse and the Lister Bell are 'evolutions' of the theme.
    At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice. Do it and enjoy the experience.

Mick
    www.paramountrefinishing.co.uk
    Last edited by catswhiskers; 09-03-2012 at 20:00.

Vince

Your Stratos looks super and so original to the rally version .. you did a great job....

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    Well I suppose I should comment too. I built a Napiersport 'Corse' a few years back. The reason I chose that kit was, as has already been mentioned, because of the revised chassis geometry which gave much better handling characteristics. (or would if you were a capable enough driver to know the difference). Another reason was becuase of the ease of build without the need for special fabrication skills etc. It was, as the description says much more of a 'kit cat' in that most of the parts fitted together in a fairly straightforward way. A very rewarding build.
    I'm now building a Hawk which is about 80% finished having just been painted. Without getting in too deeply, the Hawk is a much more challenging car to build. More is needed in the way of fabrication and manufacture of special parts to acheive the build. If you can use spanners, a welder and have access to a small friendly engineering shop, then you shouldn't have any problems. If you don't, then you will spend more time and money sorting things.
    So why am I building a Hawk this time I hear you ask? Simple. It was the first 'unfinished kit' that came up for sale when I was looking to buy. If it had been a corse, I would probably have bought that instead. I have enjoyed (sorry, I am enjoying) the build but it is more testing than the Corse.
    If I'd had the funds available when I was looking this time round, I would have definitely ordered a Lister Bell. I've known Craig for a number of years and his knowledge of Stratos kits is probably unsurpassed having been involved with CAE in the past. He has designed and developed what will become the new benchmark in Stratos kits in the future (in my opinion anyway). Tha fact that nobody has driven one yet would not have put me off.
    Finally, I don't think you can compare any of the available kits on price. No matter how much the kit costs, by the time you have bought, made, scrounged all the parts and have a finished car, you won't know where all the money went. When I built my Corse, it cost me £22,000 and that was buying almost everything new. I'm fairly sure that wouldn't be possible today and it wouldn't surprise me or, I suspect, many others here if the costs pass £30,000. It all depends on what you want.
    I'ts well established that the Hawk is the 'faithful replica' whereas the Corse and the Lister Bell are 'evolutions' of the theme.
    At the end of the day, it's your money and your choice. Do it and enjoy the experience.

Mick
    www.paramountrefinishing.co.uk
    I think you have summed it up very well there Mick. I can concur on everything you say, bar the actual experience of building a Hawk.

Go and see the Makers, look at what they are offering, talk to some owners and make your choice.

If i was starting from scratch now I would build Lister Bell as for me that would be the best Option.

Cheers

I'll third that. Craig has a lot of experience in the kit field and a lack of a demonstrator wouldn't bother me either - I have no doubt that his car drives and handles superbly. When I visited Hawk many moons ago, Gerry didn't have a working one available to test and I had to rely on a nearby customer taking me for a spin.

TBH, choice of suspension components and setup can make such a massive difference, it's almost irrelevent really - you can make them behave any way you want pretty much.

If I was building now, it would be an LB for sure.
    Last edited by NoCorseChris; 12-03-2012 at 09:21.