The Rolls Royce which wasn't what it seemed reminded me of this car which shows how flimsy motor racing rules can be.

The Churchill silhouette series raced in the late 80s or early 90s and I remember them from Snetterton. I think the regulations were that cars had to be the silouette of a road car & I think that as long as they adhered to that they could do pretty much what they liked. This car was driven by John Churchill whos company sponsored the series and it looked like the whole series was a way of him showing off his very fancy car. IIRC it was a Formula 2 car under plastic bodywork, he declared it to be Lancia Stratos. It won every race I saw it in & normally held the outright lap record at Snetteton (the next fastest cars that visited were Formula 3). Then Churchill sold the car but it continued to race but the new owner declared it to be a silouette of a different car, an AC 3000ME IIRC. How can the same car be claimed to be two different cars?

I worked on that car for the following owner! He raced it as a Stratos but did own a similar set up with AC ME3000 bodywork on it.
The stratos car was a March 832 chassis with BMW M12 engine and Hewland FG300 (dodgy memory??) gearbox.