Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

Re: Getting off my arse

It's no consolation to the problems you are encountering but there is always someone worse off than you are

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140330_11_19_57_Smart.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	8889

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspeed View Post
    It's no consolation to the problems you are encountering but there is always someone worse off than you are
    That's the good side Andrew!

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Don't get disheartened Corky.
    Most builds have seen the same kind of problems at some time or another.
    For sure things have improved with the arrival of ListerBell.
    I realised some years ago that there was a wide gulf between what was acceptable as a "Kit" in the UK and in The States.
    Us plucky Brits put up with some less than acceptable quality in kits for years. In the States you have been more used to accepting a kit of parts in a box which you take out, bolt together and drive away.
    Am I right?
    As you quite rightly say your particular kit was put together from various sources.
    To be completely fair about it though, and as I understand the situation from what I was told at the time of it's export ( by you know who....) the kit was never intended to be built as a true Corse, but to be re-engineered using US components, based on the Corse chassis and body. In fact I think it was to be the start of a "US manufacturing initiative" and "this time next year we'll all be millionaires", scenario.
    If I remember correctly it wasn't even going to have an Alfa engine.
    As recently discussed in another thread there is a great deal of support available here so dip in any time.
    I've survived on it for the past few months!
    No such thing as a daft question or statement either, I should know I've asked enough!
    John, I'm not sure that you have your details on the kit incorrect. The first owner of the mess (as I'm calling the kit) had the chassis modified to accept 12V Alfa V6. I have seen photos of all the parts that he collected to built the mess and there was nothing there to suggest that he was going to use US components. As far as US kit, they range from getting a bare body with drawings for the frame and a list of possible components, to a kit that one only needs to add an engine and transmission of their choice. What we don't have here is the USA is the kit car industry that you have in the UK. You have a whole industry built around providing parts for kit cars, there is no such industry in the USA. Another thing is that used components from US model cars were not part of the design of a UK kit. One thing to keep in mind is the I am of Scottish ancestry, and stubborn as you can imagine. The kit will be finished. Sorry my venting caused such a stir.
    Last edited by tipo158; 22-10-2015 at 00:19.

Sorry my venting caused such a stir................... That's what we are here for !

Glad to hear that the kit will be finished..... you stubborn bugger !

These are what started my rant, as you can see, they are both the same side, and in the one with red circles you can see that one of them has broken studs. With all the duplicate parts that the first owner collected, he only collected two headlight mounts, both the same side, but did manage to get a right and left retainer ring. You would not believe the collection of parts (in various condition) from only who knows where and what type of vehicle. So from now on, those parts are going to sit there collecting dust, if I need something, it will be purchased new or at least in very good used condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails headlightdoors1.jpg   headlightdoors2.jpg  

So, I purchase a set of headlight mounting brackets for motorcycles, but they won't work, so I sent out to find replacement parts for the parts that I did have. I found these NOS OEM parts. These should work fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OEMheadlightparts.jpg  

Still the work continues, got the headlight doors in place (the right side complete after this photo was taken), also got the side marker light in on the left, need to do the right side next.

Corky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails headlight1.jpg  

Shouldnt the headlight rim front be flush the the black headlamp pod front cover?

Quote Originally Posted by Lancialulu View Post
    Shouldnt the headlight rim front be flush the the black headlamp pod front cover?
    Yea, you would think so, but this is where they ended up. The black piece lines up with the rest. If I adjust the link so it come up flush, it will not be flush when closed. But this is kind of a mute point for me because I will probably never drive it at night, so I will never need to use the lights.

SEC Member

Hi Corky

With the outer black fiberglass cover/trim ring removed, does the metal mounting ring fit into the recess on the blue housing or it's too big?