Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

Re: Getting off my arse

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    Thanks Paul, I didn't see your link earlier. How do you adjust the aiming on these, I don't see the adjustors in the link.

But like I said, this is not critical for me since I doubt that I will ever have the lights up except to show people that they work.

Corky
    In the UK the lights need to point in the right direction for the annual test....whether used or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancialulu View Post
    In the UK the lights need to point in the right direction for the annual test....whether used or not!
    They need to here in the USA also, which is why I was looking for the adjusters.

Corky

SEC Member

Hi Corky

I agree the pictures didn't show very clearly, but there are adjustments on those headlight buckets I referenced.

Basically, the first thing to do is the process that Guy outlined - this ensures the back of the headlamp housing is flush with the hood when down and also reaches the proper up position - the photo you posted (post #87) looks as if the headlamp pod still needs to come up another bit so that the flat part at the bottom of the trim ring is flush with the hood surface (at the front) - compare your photo with the one I posted - there's no reason for them both not to be the same. It's an iterative back and forth process to get it right - Guy describes the method very well.

Once the up and down positions are good, then you can take care of the headlamp alignment itself. There are 2 screws on the Wipac housing I used that adjust horizontal and vertical alignment of the headlamp. You can see them in the picture below - they are the long screws connecting the metal ring to the plastic base. I did use a slightly different version than this picture shows - the back of the bowl is open, whereas the one below is closed. I needed this for clearance from the motor mechanism, but if you've any issues with that, you can simply cut the back off the bowl.

To be honest, I found the whole thing a bit of a pain to get exactly right, but I had other issues to deal with such as needing to modify Corse brackets and hinges to fit in the LB bodywork along with quite a bit of metal and fiberglass trimming and adjusting. Also I was using 2 left-hand Ford Probe motor assy's rather than a left and right (for some strange reason that's what the manual recommended), which made it even more interesting! None of that has any impact on your setup luckily.

I can send you more photos if needed - just let me know

SEC Member

The reason the Corse manual specifies two left hand motors dates back to when the Ford/Mazda motors were a new item to the market. For some reason best known to the manufacturers, the left hand motors had a retail price much cheaper than the right hand ones! When buying new it made more sense to buy two left hands!
    These days, with so many MX5's being broken you can buy as many good used pairs as you like so the reason for buying two lefts has gone.
    It was perpetuated as another Gooch myth ( so many of those......)
    To fit a right hand motor to a left hand bracket is no problem. You either re drill the locating peg hole or cut the peg off all together. Only Corse specific this though.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The reason the Corse manual specifies two left hand motors dates back to when the Ford/Mazda motors were a new item to the market. For some reason best known to the manufacturers, the left hand motors had a retail price much cheaper than the right hand ones! When buying new it made more sense to buy two left hands!
    These days, with so many MX5's being broken you can buy as many good used pairs as you like so the reason for buying two lefts has gone.
    It was perpetuated as another Gooch myth ( so many of those......)
    To fit a right hand motor to a left hand bracket is no problem. You either re drill the locating peg hole or cut the peg off all together. Only Corse specific this though.
    Not the problem, I am using LB components. Got an email from Craig today that explains a lot.

Corky

SEC Member

That's good - so what's next on the list I wonder? Would love to hear that engine firing up (hint - hint)

(BTW, the Corse reference I made was more to take the opportunity to point out my own challenges with the headlamps - I knew it wasn't relevant to your setup.
    John - it required a lot more surgery than just redrilling a hole in my case because the covered section that the headlamps drop down into is smaller on the LB so I had to cut large sections off the Corse brackets to make them fit)
    Last edited by Paul; 10-12-2015 at 05:39.

SEC Member

Well we didn't see that coming at the time Paul, sorry you had to do that.
    Corky, I wasn't offering that as an explanation of your problem, just as an aside to explain why Paul had two LH motors on his kit!

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Well we didn't see that coming at the time Paul, sorry you had to do that.
    Corky, I wasn't offering that as an explanation of your problem, just as an aside to explain why Paul had two LH motors on his kit!
    OK, so you hijacked my post, right John. LOL

Paul, the engine start is a ways off, but there really wouldn't be much needed to get it running. Just to see if it runs, not to go for a drive.

Well, got off the couch again and into the shop. Took the front clip off, easier to work on the lighting that way. Found my turn indicators that ordered back in March, and made some brackets for mounting the driving lights. Waiting to connectors for the turn indicators, then I'll start wiring them up. Wish the wiring harness that I have had a better wiring diagram for it. I might have to try a create one myself. I wish that Lionel would have sent the mating connector for those ends that will connect to wiring that was not included with the wiring harnesses provided.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frontclipoff.jpg   leftsidelights.jpg   rightfrontlights.jpg  

Hi
    I managed to track down the company that Lionel used to make the looms. I can email the sheets.
    NB they did not include a shielded cable for a speedo sensor over a drive shaft coupling so I had to take the loom out after it was in, unpick it, install a new Belden cable and then put it all back together again.
    I am not sure what Lionel envisaged for speedo sensing and driving the speedo. There is a unit on the gearbox, but I could never get anything out of it.
    Steve