Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stratos Bodyshell

Re: Stratos Bodyshell

Quote Originally Posted by Stratie.fr View Post
    For sure it's cheaper than expected... a sensible price for almost a masterpiece!
    That's mean you could build one "Stratos continuation" for less than 100k...if you obtain FIA papers it would really be the bargain of the century!
    ??? it's only 10 k less than said on that previuos post ??? And we do not know if those 40K are with VAT or not !!!
    Less than 100 K ???? do not think so .....
    all ancillaries including pricy brakes and magnesium wheels plus rear hubs etc etc could be at 70 K
    rebuilding an engine with new castings and bespoke injection would be also 60/65 K
    If you do arought total ;
    40 + 70+65 at least minimum 175 plus various unexpected high cost for genuine parts like instruments , shock absorbers , water cooler etc etc
    Last edited by LM mic; 08-11-2017 at 21:26.

I mean 100k£ for the car ( VAT and labor cost excluded )
    I know a real Stratos Dino engine with gearbox fully restored for sale at 50 K
    I think you could get magnesium wheels with brake and another parts for cheaper than 70...It's certainly a big amount of money but all is relative
    Definetely not for my wallet but a few people could be tempted nevertheless!!
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 08-11-2017 at 22:17.

The market for Stratos body shells or parts is not wholly for replicas, of course.
    ...although there are more replicas than originals...
    Original cars are decades old now, suffering from corrosion, accident damage etc.
    There are plenty of British sportscars driving around with bodyshells not produced by British Leyland.
    There is an industry of factor parts for most cars over 10 years old.
    Last edited by StruanR; 09-11-2017 at 19:55.
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

SEC Member

That's s good point Struan.
    Heritage shells. I'd not considered that before.
    I've thought for some time that modern methods of producing metal parts ( which I don't pretend I understand fully) such as CAD, laser cutting and hydraulic forming, combined with some good old fashioned fabrication techniques like an English Wheel, might well make limited production if a steel shell viable.
    When you study the detailed photos of the original shells ( particularly the great set of photos on the Japanese restoration we have a link to somewhere on this site) then there don't appear to be any panels which couldn't be reproduced fairly easily.
    The giant jig shown on the GTO site is essential but it doesn't look too technical.

And if you are driving around in a shiny new heritage shelled car everyone says, how lovely. Not, it's a fake replica!
    A new Dino V6 engine and gearbox is serious money now. If you fitted another engine in your original Stratos (Alfa V6?), would it still be a Lancia Stratos?

Struan
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

SEC Member

Umhh, who would have thought we could get so philosophical!

I once saw a Ferrari 308 advertised with an Audi engine in AutoTrader.
    The original engine had broken a cam belt.

Put a V8 in a Triumph Stag they still call it a Triumph Stag....
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by StruanR View Post
    Put a V8 in a Triumph Stag they still call it a Triumph Stag....
    I know what you mean. A pushrod V8, rather than the original OHC V8.

[QUOTE]And if you are driving around in a shiny new heritage shelled car everyone says, how lovely. Not, it's a fake replica!
    A new Dino V6 engine and gearbox is serious money now. If you fitted another engine in your original Stratos (Alfa V6?), would it still be a Lancia Stratos?

Struan[QUOTE]

Struan,
    four valve heads, engine blocks, and improved (stronger) gearbox casings are all available, as are suspension components and wheels, so 'continuation' engine/gearbox/running gear to go with your 'continuation' will muddy the water a lot further.
    Audi commissioned complete replicas of both type C & D Auto Union GP cars, and nobody gets sniffy about those, similarly with Aston Martin GT4 Zagato and 'lightweight' Jaguar E type 'continuation' models. Just tell people what it is exactly, don't try to pretend its something different.