Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVA - fallen at the first hurdle !!

IVA - fallen at the first hurdle !!

I spent most of today filling out, in draft form, my IVA application and Amateur Build declaration - and more importantly marshalling my copy invoices and photographic evidence. It has taken ages to do but then when I got onto the DVSA site and started submitting my application I found the IVA application form file is too big for the Gov website !!

The limit for file uploads is apparently 5MB and the IVA Application form alone is 49MB as a PDF (it's 12 pages). So I dont think I stand a chance with my 24 build slides and 10 pages of invoices - all PDF files .

Anyone know what I must be doing wrong - or what I need to do to get the Application in? Perhaps I should just stuff it in an old-fashioned envelope and post the lot to the IVA department in Swansea .

Any thoughts and possible technical solutions would be helpful (but nothing too techy !)

Thanks

Peter

Re: IVA - fallen at the first hurdle !!

No idea what you're doing wrong but doesn't surprise me that the Gov sites doesn't work properly. Bet they sent a fortune on it too!

I need to start getting my stuff together so have a coupe of questions:

How many photos do you need to show of the build? I presume it's a range of pics in various states of build from start to finish - but how many are needed and are there any specifics you need to show?

What receipts do they want to see? I presume the LB ones, engine / gearbox etc. Owt else? It will come as no surprise tht I have SHIT LOADS.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos Fear View Post

The limit for file uploads is apparently 5MB and the IVA Application form alone is 49MB as a PDF (it's 12 pages). So I dont think I stand a chance with my 24 build slides and 10 pages of invoices - all PDF files .

Peter
    Peter, A quick check on and download from the Govt sites shows an IVA application form (12 pages) at 1.7Mb, so that's the one you need to be completing. My completed one was 2.7Mb

For your other files you probably need to do two things...

1. reduce the resolution of the images. If you are using MS Word there is an option for File/Reduce file size that allows you to reduce the image sizes for all pictures.

2. possibly split the files into smaller files (you can submit more than one evidence file)
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

Thanks Mark - some good suggestions which I will follow up. I just got to a point yesterday when, having spent several hours getting everything together I then found I couldnt submit it - it was very frustrating so I decided to walk away and return today to try again. One other thing I noticed was that the Government site doesnt accept PDF files and prefers .Doc files or similar (.docx) so I need to be able to convert the application form into a doc file - or save it as such.

Leigh - I have built a Powerpoint presentation containing 25 slides but now think that this will not work so will try as Mark suggests and reduce the image resolution and copy them into a Word doc. I think they just want to be re-assured that it wasnt commercially assembled so if you can demonstrate various stages of build in your garage that should do the trick. 25 slides is probably too many. They also need invoices to show you purchased the kit and main components. I am going for a new registration and dont have a V5 and therefore need to show where I got the engine.
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 01-05-2021 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    How many photos do you need to show of the build?
    I submitted 18 photos of the build process with my form, showing significant points in the construction (sent by snail mail) but was rejected as insufficient evidence of “Amature Build”, so then sent 57, some showing myself working on it, approval came back within a week.

Peter,

.pdfs and other file types are accepted, see screen shots below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IVA screenshot file types.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	18056

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IVA supporting docs screenshot.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	18057

Also it's worth checking that you need invoice and parts evidence for IVA (vehicle safety), I thought that was part of the DVLA (vehicle registration) process.
    "a theory should be as simple as possible, but not simpler"

Useful info Robin thanks

A note of correction - the DVSA application site Does accept PDF files - and Mark, although it says 1.7Mb I dont understand how it gets to that number. If I fill out the form - and I have done 3 times now - each time, once I've saved it, I end with a 48Mb or 49 Mb file. Also I cannot save it as an alternative file format (or I dont know how to).
    To save any more wasted time I'm going to bundle everything up and put it in an envelope and use snail Mail .

P

Cross-over of mails !
    Also Section 7 Evidence of Eligibility for Class A (Amateur Built) says " Original amateur built declaration and copy of evidence of build eg photos and invoices "

I have taken this to mean proof that you bought the bits separately and over a period of time - not altogether as a built unit - but not sure how rigorously they check it - judging by Robin's comments it sounds like they do - so I dont want to take any chances. This information seems to be required at the IVA application stage although may also be referred to again, presumably, at Registration.
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 01-05-2021 at 11:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimefan View Post
    I submitted 18 photos of the build process with my form, showing significant points in the construction (sent by snail mail) but was rejected as insufficient evidence of “Amature Build”, so then sent 57, some showing myself working on it, approval came back within a week.
    I have hundreds of pics but not a single on with me in it!

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    I have hundreds of pics but not a single on with me in it!
    - I only had one with me holding a bundle of loom wires - which of course I included !

Regarding the IVA application - I finally managed to submit the forms last evening after slavishly cutting and pasting every page, photo and invoice into a Word document (only acceptable as the old file format .doc) - and even then I had to split the main Application Form 1C into two parts to get it below the 5Mb size limit.

At least the Application has now been formally accepted - so it will be interesting to see how long I have to wait. I have opted for the Gillingham Test Centre as my first choice.

P
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 02-05-2021 at 13:42.